• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Burkina

I'm just wondering if anybody has ever grown a Burkina. I've got some seeds coming as it kind of intrigued me because it's a Bonnet that's not from the Caribbean. How does it compare in flavor and heat?

They are great peppers, one of my favorites. Apparently they are one of the African Scotch bonnet types that were brought back by returning slaves, as are the Safi and the Big sun.

Great. Now I'm really excited. Do they have the typical chinense flavor or is there overtones of something else. Also wondering if they are hotter than a typical Bonnet.

Oh just to warn you. If you de-seed them wear lead-lined gloves, mine were evil and left me pacing the very cold garden in the dark just to cool the burning down.

rainbowberry said:
Oh just to warn you. If you de-seed them wear lead-lined gloves, mine were evil and left me pacing the very cold garden in the dark just to cool the burning down.

HAhaha, taht was when you used your fingernail to deseed them! I remember that!!

QuadShotz said:
Ones I had were very hot and very strong "habby" in flavor.
Just slicing one makes 1/2 the room smell like a hab.

Also, they were extremely twisted and warped, nearly no inside space at all.

Here's my thread on the 'lil bastards: http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=7047

Good stuff... :)

I call 'em EBIL Funky Habs!

I like the pictures in this thread. I love the shape of these things. Should be a nice looking plant.

rainbowberry said:

No problem. I learned my lesson a couple of years ago with Tabascos. The pain in my hands lasted for 8 hours. :onfire:

Diabolus said:
I like the pictures in this thread. I love the shape of these things. Should be a nice looking plant.

Thx, I also have a vid of dumb-azz-me trying to eat one too..that hurt. :mouthonfire:

I've grown Burkina Yellow for 2 years now and they are one of my all time favorites. Great Hab flavor, but mine weren't really that hot - at least by Hab standards. They weren't close to the Chocolate Habs or White Bullets that I grew in terms of heat, but certainly hotter than a Jalapeno. Great pepper though- mine started green, then a light yellow and finally a gorgeous orange.

Strange, I don't think the ones I grew turned orange at all, and I wouldn't say the taste was really hab like but sort of a different kind of fruitiness and quite hot(not as hot as Chocolate "Habs" or White Bullets).

POTAWIE said:
Strange, I don't think the ones I grew turned orange at all, and I wouldn't say the taste was really hab like but sort of a different kind of fruitiness and quite hot(not as hot as Chocolate "Habs" or White Bullets).

The 1st time I grew them (2007), when they turned from green to light yellow, I thought they were ripe since they were called Burkina Yellow. But some that stayed on the plant longer eventually turned orange, so I just figured that was the true ripe stage. I purchased my seeds from Redwood City in Cali and I've always had good luck with their seeds being true to type.

Back