• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

burn it all!

Ok so i was thinking.. People burn fields and hillsides and new grass grows almost right away. My dad said (when i was younger) it adds nutrients to the soil. Any way i was thinking about raking up a bunch of leaves and stuff and burning the garden before i till. Any takes on this?
CAM00348_zpsfbbbb259.jpg

wouldn't this raise the PH of the soil? and don't peppers like a slightly acidic soil? does the soil get more acidic as the year goes on and burning it would raise it some but not enough to make the PH alkaline? just a few questions i would like answered before i take the plunge.

wouldn't this raise the PH of the soil? and don't peppers like a slightly acidic soil? does the soil get more acidic as the year goes on and burning it would raise it some but not enough to make the PH alkaline? just a few questions i would like answered before i take the plunge.
Maybe temporary but glacial till soils are normaly a little alkaline anyway and rain water should neutralize the ash ph.

It's illegal in the UK now. Japan set fire to rice fields after harvest - something weird about being in the countryside that time of year.

I regularly burn small brush/yard waste and till it into the beds each spring. Don't need much, but a little makes for great soil! Also Birdfather - practicing good crop rotation (as in not planting peppers in the same place year after year) is the best method. With four 6x10 raised beds I alternate peppers from one bed to the next each year with great results.

I regularly burn small brush/yard waste and till it into the beds each spring. Don't need much, but a little makes for great soil! Also Birdfather - practicing good crop rotation (as in not planting peppers in the same place year after year) is the best method. With four 6x10 raised beds I alternate peppers from one bed to the next each year with great results.

I have a burn pile i was going to throw in there too maybe.

Thought about the ash in the burn pit to. We burn shit all year. Makes since that it'd be returning the nutes built up in the plant matter.

The sugar cane farmers here burn the dried scrap leaves leftover after the harvest every year. Acres and acres worth. They light one end of the field and walk away. Burning it is fine as long as your local regs allow for it.

The sugar cane farmers here burn the dried scrap leaves leftover after the harvest every year. Acres and acres worth. They light one end of the field and walk away. Burning it is fine as long as your local regs allow for it.

Been burning stuff since i was a kid and its all good with the law. Its out in the country and everyone seems to be burning there hillsides that face the road this week. That's where i got the idea

Back