• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Burning Colon's 2012 Grow Log

Okay folks, most of you know that i don't live in a very hot pepper friendly grow area. this means no outside in ground growing for peppers - i live in a zone 3a. this means my hot pepper growing is confined to indoor growing.......until this year!

yes it is nice in the summer, we really don't require air conditioning as a window fan works just fine. nights are cool and hail can strike anytime during the summer months and has been mixed with snow. after september, consider the outside growing season as over!

so without further adieu, here is my 2012 grow log, most of the chinense are 2 years old or older and this year i decided to try peppers from south america's mountainous regions as my summer climate is very similar, for some S/A regions. i am posting 3 videos, soil outdoor plants, other outdoor plants and indoor dwc. (as a note for those who want to post video via photobucket, i had to lower my camera resolution to VGA and use safari to make the video upload happen(IE & Chrome would not work for me, each video took about an hour - so, we will see if the videos work after i post).

thought i would give an update, just pictures this time; not all my plants..... well, yes, they are all my plants....just not every plant got its picture taken.

we had frost the other night and everything had to come into the house for 2 days but temps are back up and the night time temps are good enough to keep the guys in the greenhouse. a local tv channel has a really nice website with weather forecast, that gives an hourly projection of temps, so i can check what 4am might feel like for the plants. i bought a wireless weather thermometer but had to return it, it would only transmit data 5 feet from the remote and any movement would quite working.

here is a nice red scotch bonnet, almost feel like picking the red guy.
P1000413.jpg

yellow foodrama scotch bonnet, unfortunately it is the tapered pod and not the bonnet shape, there are a few more smaller pods starting to grow under the leaves.
P1000414.jpg

peppermania's original yellow jamaican scotch bonnet, now this pod looks a little better.
P1000415.jpg

more to come......

this inca red drop was oozing pods everywhere.
P1000416.jpg

for some reason, i like caribbean red, which this guy is.
P1000417.jpg

getting meaty now with this yellow fatalii, well it is still green but will mature to yellow.....i hope!
P1000418.jpg

more to come................................

pepperlover's assam bhut indian carbon, this guy is 2 years old, pods are hot but i have a few others types that are killers.
P1000419.jpg

dumb is me, sitting on my hot tub steps for 20 minutes with my eyes shut and a steady flood of tears, my mouth open as saliva streamed out of my mouth and me holding my temples as the kids watched and constantly asking "what's wrong dad?". i had a piece of dorset naga but i couldn't talk! (couldn't believe how the oil squirted out of the pod, onto my cutting board when i sliced it open)
P1000420.jpg

i was taking this pic, this bombay morich has long stretching arms that make it hard to fit into the greenhouse.
P1000421.jpg

more to come.....

i think, this is my favourite plant, yellow scorpion.
P1000422.jpg

now, this yellow 7 left a very cool after taste in my mouth....... after the swirling heat subsided!
P1000423.jpg

here is a bunch of annuums: goatsweed, sannam, dundicut and what was suppose to be a cherrybomb(at least it was a cherrybomb that i took the seeds from). inside the greenhouse are a douglah, barrackpore, bombay morich and 2 datil, but i took them out of my dwc and i kind of damaged them but they are sprouting new growth, so i call it my hospital cage for them.
P1000424.jpg

more to come.......

i should have zoomed in on these 3, they are pequin and the pods are soooooooo tiny.
P1000425.jpg

i had to buy this white hab as none of my seeds would germinate. need looking little guys.....remind me of gold bullet habs.
P1000426.jpg

had to move the leaves, so you could see this chocolate hab.
P1000427.jpg

and finally........................

this orange fatalii is 3 years old and still delivering monster pods, i can't figure out if this or the dorset naga is hotter, both leave me looking stupid.
P1000428.jpg

well thanks for perusing my pics, i left out the manzano and tepin. perhaps i will post a pic later of the tepin, it is just starting to produce pods, 2nd time in 5 years. oh i really should post pics of my butchT and yellow foodrama bonnet in hydro, they are really huge.

now, this yellow 7 left a very cool after taste in my mouth....... after the swirling heat subsided!
P1000423.jpg

here is a bunch of annuums: goatsweed, sannam, dundicut and what was suppose to be a cherrybomb(at least it was a cherrybomb that i took the seeds from). inside the greenhouse are a douglah, barrackpore, bombay morich and 2 datil, but i took them out of my dwc and i kind of damaged them but they are sprouting new growth, so i call it my hospital cage for them.
P1000424.jpg

more to come.......

i should have zoomed in on these 3, they are pequin and the pods are soooooooo tiny.
P1000425.jpg

i had to buy this white hab as none of my seeds would germinate. need looking little guys.....remind me of gold bullet habs.
P1000426.jpg

had to move the leaves, so you could see this chocolate hab.
P1000427.jpg

and finally........................

this orange fatalii is 3 years old and still delivering monster pods, i can't figure out if this or the dorset naga is hotter, both leave me looking stupid.
P1000428.jpg

well thanks for perusing my pics, i left out the manzano and tepin. perhaps i will post a pic later of the tepin, it is just starting to produce pods, 2nd time in 5 years. oh i really should post pics of my butchT and yellow foodrama bonnet in hydro, they are really huge.

I've quoted the part beginning with the eleventh image so we can see them in place.

Did you expect the Dorset Naga pods to have that bulbous shape?

Very nice for plants growing in non-hot pepper friendly grow area, Mark! :cool:

I really liked the Yellow Scorpion plant I grew last season. I can't quite put my finger on why though. I guess it had this short but stocky and compactness to it that I liked.

Back