• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Burpee 72 Cell Seed Starting Greenhouse Kit

There are lots of similar products on the market. 

Your local garden store should have some.

Greenhouse MegaStore is an online source
for cheaper varieties.

Any germinator tray with a dome (I like the 7-inch
tall ones) will work with Jiffy Plugs, Rockwool, Rapid
Rooters, seedling mix or all-purpose potting soil.
Whichever you like to use.

I ordered the burpee 72 cell germination dome ~$20. Loved it!!! I tried the ziplock method first and had far less success. I would definitely recommend a heating pad over everything though!

I bought the Jiffy brand 72 cell kit at the local nursery. $10. It does not have the raised watering matte like Burpee and it does not come with potting soil. Another $5. It has been sitting on a heating pad for five days. I'm using a meat thermometer and the soil temp is around 80°. I hope all goes well with everyone.  Can't wait to see some green.

Attachments

• jiffy.jpg
    jiffy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70
I've used the Burpee one and it is okay.  And Jiffy.  One where you use medium and the pellet ones.  Like coir better than peat for planting.  Peat is for making scotch!

I've never had to use the heat mat because my grow box is just at like 83 degrees all the time with my lights on.

I got two of those Burpee ones when I started about 8 years ago. They are ok, but I found them to be a bit flimsy.

I guess it depends on how many plants you are planning to grow and how you plan to grow them. They are great for soil-based growing since you can just pop them out and transplant to a bigger container when ready.
They were a little cumbersome for me since I plant about a dozen plants at a time and grow them hydroponically. Right now, I only use rockwool cubes and a tupperware to keep moisture in when germinating - works for me!

I have two of those, this is the second year using them. They are thin and flimsy, but still work ok and will last me a couple more years I think. When removing root ball I squeeze the little pot that will likely be first thing to break. The trays are standard sized 10-20 trays which is a good thing. I like the self watering part because it keeps the rootball from soaking in water.

Back