Business as usual, or a new twist

Just a thought, but

I have seen a lot of really great offers lately to buy pods on the hotpepper forum. Many of these offers are down right generous. And if I were a supper hot pepper connoisseur or had a really great recipe to make a tried and proven pepper sauce that required 30 superhot peppers, I might have jumped in to one of these offers already. But I am not, so what would a superhot newbie like myself do with 30 trinidad scorpions? good question. 

Secondly, with the exception of a member in Canada who went to the local store and find a whole section of superhots and bought them for    Did I say bought?  (more like stole them.   kidding. :cheers:      CONGRATS on a great deal!!) next to nothing. Are  growing them, know someone who is growing them or luck on to them somehow. You will never have a chance to sample the vast variety that exists.  Which brings me to my point.

If instead of 36 moruga scorpions, you could get a selection, somewhat like ( a box of chocolates) of 12 and up different types of pods, Would you be more interested in making such a purchase? I feel by providing this selection. the up and coming super hot consumer may be more inclined to purchase the 36 morugas after knowing what they taste and heat is like.

By the numbers, how many other members fall into this area of nonexposure or inexperience due to the status quo I described above? and would you be interested in a option of variety?

Chime in, the sales people and comercial growers may be listening.

Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with dried powdered peppers if you want to add something to a dish, but its not the same a  fresh pod.

Anyway, it was just an idea, I looked around a bit before posting and didnt see anything like I described.

I agree with the boss. Powders are a great way to get a taste of what the peppers are like. I've bought a few boxes, and won a few giveaways from people on here, and nearly all have been mixed boxes. I mainly use 1 or 2 superhots in a hab sauce for a bit of added heat as well as made some of my own powders. Any leftover peppers can be frozen and used later.

Lots of growers offer mixed boxes.  If none are posted currently, post a "Wanted" ad.  Now is the perfect time as harvest is on.  And if you taste them fast, you can quickly order a few boxes of the ones you like. 

HP22BH said:
Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with dried powdered peppers if you want to add something to a dish, but its not the same a  fresh pod.
It's not the same but the flavor ain't changin'! You just lose the freshness and the bite, and the green "earthy" taste from the ribs, etc. You actually get a real good idea of the flavor from the powder.

I figured out some of my faves from the powders. Yup. Like Jamaican Hot Chocolate.

Yes, post a Wanted Ad. Good one SL!

i completly agree with you variety over quantity and if you dont want to buy a whole box you can look on ebay they sell in much smaller amounts, sure you get more value from a whole box but if you just wana try a type look on ebay. a seller on there sends you 2 jays red ghost scorpion and a bunch of extra peppers for 4 bucks free shipping. i have bought from him a couple of times

newpeppergrower1105 said:
i completly agree with you variety over quantity and if you dont want to buy a whole box you can look on ebay they sell in much smaller amounts, sure you get more value from a whole box but if you just wana try a type look on ebay. a seller on there sends you 2 jays red ghost scorpion and a bunch of extra peppers for 4 bucks free shipping. i have bought from him a couple of times
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. I'd rather spend more money for a box of all one variety, that I may or may not like, than buy from eBay. At least least my business is going to a member of the THP community. Besides, like coheed said, the majority of boxes sold are mixed boxes. If that's not what your looking for, most growers would probably be willing to do a mixed box even if that is not what the ad is for :)

kgetpeppers said:
Or just buy 3 sfrbs from judy and get 6 free :) there's quantity and variety!!
Yep.
Highly considered that.
just cant beat her deals with a stick ...or anything for that matter.

I really prefer mixed boxes.
That way you can be exposed to a whole different variety of peppers out there.. as far as what to do with them.. I prefer to make my sauces witht the fresh pods but if i get overwhelmed with too many I will puree and freeze them for later.. or slice them in half deseed them and dry them. The drying/powder route also allows you to try different smoking woods for the pods.. I currently have done 4-5 batches of chipote with different wood types.. so far my favorite is pecan with apple a close second.
The other good thing to do with smaller amounts of mixed box pods is to make pepper jelly with them..most recipes i have used only require about 6 pods per batch.  I made a few cases of jelly and gave it away for xmas presents.  That got a few laughs xmas morning when they saw the peter pepper jelly with the "pod" picture on the jar.

Just my 2 cents..

Chris Phillips always sells mixed and his deals are awesome because the variety he grows alone you can score with the seeds. Smileyguy aka mike H. Joemama. Tons of folks. Now as for vendors. Most will accommodate. Some even do giveaways

Ditto all around.
In the past 2 weeks, here off of THP, I've bought 3 sfrb's, all mixed, from 2 different growers.
B/w all 3 boxes, with only 3 varities being repeated throughout those purchases. Of all those peppers, I "conservatively" state I now have @ minimum of 45 verieties to sample.
Approx $14-$16 ea. Easy peasy and still less expensive than any other source I've found.
I've had way better luck with the growers here than bigger/commercial vendors. Espescially when it comes to putting togethermixed sfrb's.
Those individual growers have consistantly given me speedier responses & no hassles over "your order isn't big enough to interest me or my business" as some "businesses" have.

Back