• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Butch T Scorpion is struggling

Hi All, wondering if anyone has any ideas or advice to get me scorpion chilli plant going again.

About a month and a half ago my scorpion chilli plant lost all of it's leaves and is struggling big time. I have tried pruning it back pretty harshly and watering it with liquid fertiliser but I can't get it too take off.
The odd thing is, is when it's pruned there is still green in the stems, so that is why I haven't pulled it out yet. I have had the plant for about 3 years now and it usually produces a reasonable amount of fruit and I'd be sad to see it go.

All of the other chilli plants that I am growing at the moment are thriving and I haven't had any plants do anything like this before.

If anyone has had a similar experience or has any suggestions I'd be glad to hear it. Pics below.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20180129_190651_HDR.jpg
    20180129_190651_HDR.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20180129_190707_HDR.jpg
    20180129_190707_HDR.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 59
Something is wrong with the roots, some pest may be destroying them or the roots are rotting away. Pull the plant up, wash the roots clean with warm water and check them out with a 30x-60x loupe for possible clues and then take a sharp picture of washed roots and post it here. If someone with the knowledge can find something wrong with the roots in the picture, he can advise for possible cure for them and save you chili from dying.

Check the roots for these fellows, that can quickly kill your plant, if not killed soon they will go to your other chilis too and start killing them too:
https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/houseplant-pests/root-aphid-control/

In my country there is not much problem with various pests, because most of the bad ones dies because the cold temperature in the long winter time we have.

Okay, thanks for the advice, will have a look at the roots as soon as I get a chance and will post pics if anything looks suss. Might not be able to get to it for a couple of nights though.

brenny86 said:
Okay, thanks for the advice, will have a look at the roots as soon as I get a chance and will post pics if anything looks suss. Might not be able to get to it for a couple of nights though.

After pulling the plant up, even if you dont find anything strange in roots after checking them with a loop you can always put the plant in a larger pot and see if it snaps out of it and starts to grow back.

Okay, I just uprooted it and had a close look and nothing. It all looked perfectly healthy to me. Overall span of the roots one way was about a foot, no signs of rot or damage, no insects and soil looked healthy with no traces of pests. Mystery!

I have now transplanted it to another spot to see if it does any better in the coming weeks, otherwise I'll need to turf it to make room for some other chillis, room is very scarce at the moment with all the small plants I have shooting up.

Chilidude said:
Maybe it needed some more fertilizer then, if you didnt find anything.
Yep, chucked some powerfeed on my chiilis tonight, will use some seaweed fertiliser on em next week.

Back