• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Buy seeds or seedlings?

There are a couple of strains of peppers I'm interested in. Seeds would be like $2 per strain, and one seedling would be like $6 per strain.

Trying to choose? I guess I should just do both, and hedge my bets. It's not exactly a lot of money. I'm scared if I buy a seedling, it might die and I have no back ups.

Thoughts? Do you guys prefer to buy seeds and raise them that way?

I personally would go the seed route that way you could potentially have more plants for your money. The only risk is not having any seeds germinate. After they germinate, then you would be in the same boat as if you had bought seedlings.

Depends... you will get plenty of seeds from the ripe pods of the seedling. If you only want or have room for one plant this season, go for the seedling because you wont have to wait as long for pods. If you are planning on growing more than one plant, and don't mind waiting longer for pods, buy the seeds. Either way, save seeds from the ripe pods, overwinter plants if you need to, and you won't have this problem in the future.

As possibly posted above - reading between the lines.
Why buy seeds?

Buying seeds for super hots these days is expensive and a crap shoot.
Most varieties are unstable and or crosses.

Get probably the same thing for SASBE/Postage.

If you have growing space , then go for a couple trades or sasbe's for the same thing that wasn't isolated.
Chances are you'll end up with a plant that grows what you want.

As a side note,SASBE's have always sent me seeds but don't count on all the people sending you seeds that just want your address and will send you seeds at their expense-paying it forward.
I get a 50/50 mix from that.
Half +/- don't send the seeds.

Post what you are looking for on the forum adds or ...PM or?

Back