• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

C. frutescens: which varieties produce the biggest pods?

Are there any big ones? For all the other domesticated species, I can think of at least a few stuffable varieties... except this one. What am I missing?

I've never come across a cap. frutescens that was suitable for stuffing - just too small.

Also of note, I don't think this species is as domesticated as the others, possibly accounting for the relatively smaller size. This past winter I read the book Chasing Chiles and the authors did a chapter on tabascos where they mention the lack of domestication issue.

I've only got experience with Tabasco and Piri Piri and they're not suitable for stuffing. One trait that I think is common among all frutescens is that they are thin skinned and that doesn't make for a good stuffing pepper.

I'm growing actual Tabasco plants from seeds I personally got from Avery Island last year. I'm going to make some powder with the peppers.

Most frutescens are fairly small, berry-like or cayenne type pods. I would suggest using them to kick up the eat of a stuffing. It would rock if you picked a nice mild pod like a Poblano or Anaheim and used frutescens pods in a stuffing for it. Mmmmmmmmmmm........giving me some yummy ideas now!

Back