• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid C. galapagoense cross

First flower:

15235026446_1e76f44e43_b.jpg

15071273819_684542c216_b.jpg

I had decided not to save any of the pods from my galap. as I grew them alongside other wilds as I had intended to overwinter and save pure seeds, but I have been thinking about saving some to see if they did indeed cross. If they did they would have crossed with anyone of the following wilds.
1. C. Eximium
2. C. praetermissum
3. Judy's Mystery Blue ( C. preatermissum ) ??
4. Chiltepin sp.
Then maybe a cross with either a Barracpore or a 7pod Infinity, these last two I doubt that any pollen from them got to my galapagoense as my plants were grown between the Eximiums and Chiltepins with the taller Praetermissum's hanging over them, for some shade.  So I will keep a few pods myself just to see if they crossed and what with, normally I would not do this as it would be too easy for me to forget to make sure that they are marked as a cross and later what they were crossed with. But as I have plenty of tags I can make sure the pods get put in a package marked that they are a unknown cross of a galapagoense mother with a question mark as who the father might be as soon as the ripe pods dry.

wildseed57 said:
I had decided not to save any of the pods from my galap. as I grew them alongside other wilds as I had intended to overwinter and save pure seeds, but I have been thinking about saving some to see if they did indeed cross. If they did they would have crossed with anyone of the following wilds.
1. C. Eximium
2. C. praetermissum
3. Judy's Mystery Blue ( C. preatermissum ) ??
4. Chiltepin sp.
Then maybe a cross with either a Barracpore or a 7pod Infinity, these last two I doubt that any pollen from them got to my galapagoense as my plants were grown between the Eximiums and Chiltepins with the taller Praetermissum's hanging over them, for some shade.  So I will keep a few pods myself just to see if they crossed and what with, normally I would not do this as it would be too easy for me to forget to make sure that they are marked as a cross and later what they were crossed with. But as I have plenty of tags I can make sure the pods get put in a package marked that they are a unknown cross of a galapagoense mother with a question mark as who the father might be as soon as the ripe pods dry.

The galapagoense I've grown produce a lot of pollen, so I'd guess the chances of a cross would not be that high.

Vegas_Chili said:
Wow, that's a nice flower. Seems larger than the galapagoense flower and more annuum like. Very cool.

-Walt

Yes, a bit larger than the galapagoense, but also smaller than the other parent...

wildseed57 said:
I think there is a cross with a C. chinense that is being sold by one of the Vendors, Not Judy though.

Yeah, I know about that.  I grew it for a couple generations, but did not see any variability nor galapagoense characteristics, so I don't think it is a cross, but there is a separate thread about that... definitely don't want to get into a pissing match over it...

Here's an update on the main pod, there are others, but this one is the largest at this point:
15460460141_e67c758af7_b.jpg

15463616995_fa3da13a4d_b.jpg

Looks like C. galapagoense traits are dominant in the fruit shape.  Remember this was grown from seed from a non-galapagoense plant in case you're thinking this is just a straight galapagoense.

[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense to be specific.
Here you can see a pic of my Chiltepin x Chintexle as well as a pic of the Chintexle I grew in case you're not familiar:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44012-spicegeist-2014-the-year-of-the-bhut/?p=984607

There's a pic of my galapgoenses in this older thread, as well as my Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore F1... a few people are growing out F2 and seeing some interesting results:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36978-?p=815915
Here is a pod developing that was pollinated with Bhut Jolokia pollen:
15460678091_4c73324276_b.jpg

Here's the plant and some pics of a flower:
15460728001_d11e3f7dd8_b.jpg

15277180390_702d6905c7_b.jpg

15277186810_6641424efd_b.jpg

Vegas_Chili said:
Nice!! Looks more like the galapagoense, turned out nice.

That one crossed with the bhut should be interesting....

-Walt

Thanks Walt, I actually have a few pods pollinated with bhut pollen that are developing nicely on the plant.  I'm not going to grow them all out... you could give it a try if you like...

Spicegeist said:

Thanks Walt, I actually have a few pods pollinated with bhut pollen that are developing nicely on the plant.  I'm not going to grow them all out... you could give it a try if you like...

Look, I'm just a new-whoever-noname-unknown person on here, but I'd love to try some of those seeds. If you feel like. I'd be grateful. Otherwise, I'll just keep an eye on this thread.

Back