• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

C.tovarii

cmpman1974 said:
You did VERY well with Tovarii Prodigal_Son.  I'm impressed.  My biggest struggle with this species is the branches turn woody too fast.  You have the magic touch!

Chris
Hey Chris, when you say your biggest problem is that the branches get woody so fast, is that an issue due to attempts at training it or something else?
Great looking grow Prodigal_Son, big thanks and attaboys for the seed exchang, grows, pics & info!

Tovarii is one of the rare species that has alluded me once more this year I was gifted some seeds of it, but none grew, last year I grew 4 galapagoense for the first time out of 4 tries so I know its just a matter of time, but finding a vendor that has them will take some time, Judy at pepperlover.com  doesn't have any, but she does have several other nice wild species I did look at what rainbow seeds had, but They are out of stock of the Tovarii, so I'm stuck now.  So I will have to look else where, I do have plenty of the galapagoense which I'm growing again and all 4 made it,  that I had  overwintered.  I have 3 eximium plants and seeds, but don't know which variety it is so I do have some seed that I can trade and play with.
John's photo's have me lusting to grow not just the Tovarii, but Lanceolatum, Flexuosum, and others that he has amazingly been able to grow. I can't wait to see what all he is growing this year, and his great photo's.

germanico said:
This is a purely amazing plant!

is there any chance to get some seeds?
I am not trading or shipping any seeds currently. I have a plant setting flowers now so I will have more seeds to trade this winter. I sent a few hundred of these around the USA,S.America,ad Europe last fall and winter. There should be a lot of seed floating around at the end of this year.

Brutaldiver said:
Hey Chris, when you say your biggest problem is that the branches get woody so fast, is that an issue due to attempts at training it or something else?
Great looking grow Prodigal_Son, big thanks and attaboys for the seed exchang, grows, pics & info!
Thank you. I will speak for Chris since we talk about wild chiles almost daily,and he doesn't use THP very often these days.

A lot of wild capsicum,especially tovarii get very woody stems,not just the trunks but even the upper limbs. The tovarii gets very brittle and breaks easily When this happens. If you have ever grown clematis,they get brittle lower branching like those.

When Chris and a lot of the folks growing these first started 5-10 years ago,the lines floating around weren't very good and they weren't very prolific and poor if not nil germ rates. That has changed over the last few years and hopefully this plant gets into more gardens. It is a gem! Hope this helped.

wildseed57 said:
Tovarii is one of the rare species that has alluded me once more this year I was gifted some seeds of it, but none grew, last year I grew 4 galapagoense for the first time out of 4 tries so I know its just a matter of time, but finding a vendor that has them will take some time, Judy at pepperlover.com  doesn't have any, but she does have several other nice wild species I did look at what rainbow seeds had, but They are out of stock of the Tovarii, so I'm stuck now.  So I will have to look else where, I do have plenty of the galapagoense which I'm growing again and all 4 made it,  that I had  overwintered.  I have 3 eximium plants and seeds, but don't know which variety it is so I do have some seed that I can trade and play with.
John's photo's have me lusting to grow not just the Tovarii, but Lanceolatum, Flexuosum, and others that he has amazingly been able to grow. I can't wait to see what all he is growing this year, and his great photo's.
I'm trying to donate a nice portion of these to Stefan (Meatfreak) so that he can supply some of these (and other rares) via tasty-peppers.nl. Though I'll only be able to supply if I get a good harvest so keep andere eye on the forum.

Rares are fun but are not often tasty.

Rares are fun but are not often tasty.

I never quite understood the difference between the designation of "semi-wild" versus "wild", but that aside I feel i've heard of at least a few of them being great tasting.

There are some that taste good/nice, but most of them are not even close to the taste of cultivated varieties. But on the other hand, that's probably the reason why they were cultivated in the first place.

Wilds are found in remote areas without the cultivation by people.

Semi-wilds are Wilds that are being grown/cultivated by people as a food source.

Than you have the rare wilds. Simply wilds that are a bit less wide spread and are harder to come by.

Edit: Don't always believe reviewers (they seem to want to keep the donater happy) and understand that taste is very subsceptible.

Hey John...I still have one tiny plant from last year's grow. It only got up to about 8" then stalled out. I just started feeding her again so we shall see if she can finally get going.

Spicy Mushroom said:
I never quite understood the difference between the designation of "semi-wild" versus "wild", but that aside I feel i've heard of at least a few of them being great tasting.
There are only a few true wilds that are in our gardening circles. There are a lot that get labeled as "wild" but really are landrace varieties and not a true wild.

stc3248 said:
Hey John...I still have one tiny plant from last year's grow. It only got up to about 8" then stalled out. I just started feeding her again so we shall see if she can finally get going.
Was curious how that plant did. I think tovarii would hold up to your conditions better than other wilds. The sun isn't as rough on them.

I'll have to keep my eyes open so I can buy, trade or get some gifted again, I noticed that I have some more wilds pop up, but the names are now gone, I'll know just what they are when they get older and produce a flower or two.

13748797013_5f962b6677_b.jpg

13923140107_869c704718_c.jpg

17483443203_5b57d414d0_c.jpg

14482517971_eb3a527069_c.jpg

14594628618_0842687184_c.jpg

14516984940_ae9ba61465_c.jpg

15609329391_ffb32becd7_c.jpg

18139671672_8a5b87e2fb_c.jpg

14654043218_c7c5050bc7_c.jpg

14860562923_910cfbdaa8_c.jpg

Pr0digal_son said:
I am not trading or shipping any seeds currently. I have a plant setting flowers now so I will have more seeds to trade this winter. I sent a few hundred of these around the USA,S.America,ad Europe last fall and winter. There should be a lot of seed floating around at the end of this year.
Thanks a lot for that info! I got in touch with some people at finland who might have seeds this fall, too. If they won't have a good harvest, I guess, I'll ask again this fall. ;-)

Very nice John, I planted twenty seeds of C. tovarii, I gave them and 4 lanceolatum seeds a good soak in a plant hormone mix to break seed dormancy.  With in 2 weeks 3 of my lanceolatums had popped so I planted them, but one never came up right now I have one healthy lance and one sickly one, but not any of the tovarii seeds have popped yet, I did put them in a seed starter when I planted the lanceolatums because the seeds looked plump and shinny like they might germinate at any time.  I have no idea how old the seeds were so I'm hoping I will get a few sprouts. All of my pepper seeds that are in the seed starter are kept at 80F. and all of them except for some Eximium and the Tovarii seeds have all popped up. The lanceolatum seedlings are the smallest and slowest growing plants compared to C. chacoense or C. eximiums. 

Back