• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cajamarca - who has grown them before?

I bought some C. chinense "Cajamarca" seeds. What I read about them sounds great. Does anyone here have experience with that variety?

VEG845.jpg

I never heard of them but they look like they would brighten up the garden area.

Yeah. And they are supposed to have the heat level of a cayenne and a flavor somewhere in between habanero and fatalii. Very citrussy they say.

I grew them in 2008. Super long season variety. I easily ripened 7 pots/Scorpions that year, but not even close on Cajamarca. It's a beautiful pepper with incredible color transitions, but the taste/flavor didn't impress me. I got them to the orange stage...ripen to red.

Chris

I grew them last year for the first time. Like Chris said they take forever to grow. I started the seeds in February and at the end of my season sometime in the middle of September I had five pods on it, none had ripened. Pretty sure the aphids can carry part of the blame though. Never did try one.

Back