• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cal-Mag

Hi everyone,

Live in Victoria, Australia. Pretty sure I have calcium deficiencies in some of my plants. Was wondering if anyone knew where I could get Cal-Mag from?

Tried Bunnings and was no good. Would love any help.

Cheers

Mitch

Growth Technology do a CalMagNi supplement. I'm not sure where in Vic to get it but I think they do have a lot of their stuff available there.

Bonfire ashes help tremendously here. I have cal mag, but really don't use it. Look up homemade pot ash. there is a lot of trace elements, along with cal.

I used Calcium Nitrate, a water soluble fertilizer throughout the season. I supplemented it with Epsom Salt to get some magnesium to the plants. Then about once a month I'd give them a slightly diluted feeding of miracle grow so they could get all the other trace minerals. I'm not sure how it compares to the more expensive cal-mag fertilizers available, but I had decent enough results at a real cheap price. I got my calcium nitrate off of ebay. Including shipping a 4 lb bag cost around $8. I picked up the Epsom salt ($1) and miracle grow ($5) at walmart.

What I found that helps alot, if you want to go the organic method, is boiled egg water, powdered egg shells, and when you get canned Salmon with bones, take the bones out dry em and pulverize em.

garrr, I'm really not having much luck finding a cal or cal+mag supplement in Vic. The shops have nothing, i am yet to find some online and eBay Australia doesn't even have calMag or Calcium Nitrate. (eBay US does but its like $50 postage).

anyone tried GROTEK CAL-MAX ? i have actually found a place that sells this. not really sure how much cal it has in it though.

For a start, any organic fert is loaded with calcium. Dynamic lifter, rooster booster, or blood and bone meal ferts, or B&B based ferts. It's rare that any soil or plant is deficient in calcium. That's why it's hard to find the equivalent of cal/mag in any gardening stores, because no one really needs it if growing in the ground or in pots and have added cheap organic ferts.

Calcium deficiencies is more for hyrdoponically grown stuff, so check hydro stores if you want it. Otherwise use the organic stuff mentioned before (or calcium carbonate, calcium nitrate etc) in organic based potting mixed and just use epsom salts for the magnesium component. I suffered a lot of magnesium and potassium deficiencies while I used only organic ferts this season, but never a problem with lack of calcium.

It's going to vary region to region, just saying how it is down in Australia's soils and the products we need determines whether it's sold, or going to sell, enough determines what is on the shelves...

bone meal is full of calcium and also provides nitrogen phos, etc. i use dr. earth organic food...has all major and trace elements your plants need. good luck

you can also make your own calcium nitrate by drying your used eggshells, then put them in blender and pulverize...soak powder in white vinegar until foaming action stops and voila...calciium ferts you can use.

Back