• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Calcium deficient soil

what mjdiamond said.

The ag departments at a bunch of universities will analyze soil/leaf tissue cheaply. they each have directions on how to take a sample and mail it. i would look into this.

I was looking locally and Purina makes an oyster shell for chickens, like 5 bucks for a 5 pound bag. It is 41 % calcium.

If you find out you have a calcium deficiency, the chicken stuff looks good and cheap.

The college I go to uses A and L Labratories in Memphis for their soil testing and it costs around $20 for the test. Results are e-mailed to you within a day or so of them getting the sample in. www.allabs.com

I was looking locally and Purina makes an oyster shell for chickens, like 5 bucks for a 5 pound bag. It is 41 % calcium.

If you find out you have a calcium deficiency, the chicken stuff looks good and cheap.

that's the stuff- just have to apply early because it will take a long time to break down.

calcium = eggshells here-have you tried drying and then grinding to powder and adding to your grow soil?Been doing this for a couple years and what a change.Just a thought. Rich

Yes, I've been doing that for years but the issues is . . . . . VOLUME

@Bisc and Armac - - - I've never used oyster shells but wouldn't rule it out. I've acutally composted crab shells and they worked nicely.

while i think oyster shell would work in the long term and have gotten a little sidetracked on the discussion of it here, i would actually use lime to adjust the calcium in my garden providing the pH boost wouldn't be intolerable. (lime=calcium carboanate=oyster shell for the most part anyway)

Use Dolomite Lime, it is CaMg Carbonate. You can get it at most home centers, or farm supply stores. A 50lb bag of Dolomite Lime runs about $15.00

Garden lime which is a mixture of Calcite and Dolomite Lime, runs about $5.00 for 50lb bag at the local Home Depot.

Why not just spread wood ash? I assume up N. there should be an abundance of it.
http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~blpprt/bestwoodash.html
I use a lil once a year, in the garden, but spread it all over the yard since we have a lot of fires by the lake.

Back