• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Calcium Source

I was just wondering what everyone uses as a calcium source for their potted plants?
Also how it is applied along with the amounts and time of application?

Im thinking about getting some beach sand and washing the salt out an then repot and mixing with the potting mix of my smaller plants.

(The sand here is formed from coral)

I use MagiCal since the nutes are in solution. You can find it at any hydroponic store. If you don't have one in your area you can order online from the link. Don't be put off by the price. One bottle will last a long time since recommended dilution is 5 ml per gallon. And it also supplies magnesium at same time.

I use multi-vitamins. Either drop them in the bucket (hydro plants) or crush them up and mix them in rainwater for the plants in dirt. They contain all kinds of the micro-nutes plants need and a far less expensive than other plant food!

Mike

I have dolomite lime, Epsom Salt, Milk,
I try not to mess with this stuff too much unless i have to
but Fade you seem to be doing a very good job at what you are doing i'm gonna have to take some notes

wordwiz said:
I use multi-vitamins. Either drop them in the bucket (hydro plants) or crush them up and mix them in rainwater for the plants in dirt. They contain all kinds of the micro-nutes plants need and a far less expensive than other plant food!

Mike

interesting. is that a broad spec multi vitamin or some kinda calcium specific variety?

Well have re-potted 2 Caribbean red plants about 12" tall which have the curling leaves on the new growth.

I have now created a mixture that consists of the same high quality potting mix, 1 cup of local beach sand, 1 tbl spn each of lime and bone meal.

Mixed everything together well and repoted plants in same size 1 gallon pot and watered everything in.

Will keep you posted on how well or bad it goes.

I used Powdered Milk this past spring. Works Awesome. Only Fert. I used was Epson Salt. When I emptied my Buckets with the Dirt. I did find some white dirt though. Might have to use some real Fert. this year

Sly

By the way, would you notice any improvements on leaves that are already curling or disfigured?
Or does it only show on the new growth once the deficiency is fixed?

I've just recently used eggs shells and calcium vitamin supplements and the leaves have mostly bounced back. It's taken about 7 days but the difference is very clear.

I've used eggshells and Epsom Salts as a result of advice here, but still have no idea what I am doing!

FTB - I had curling leaves but didn't note if the calcium cured the damaged leaves or only the new growth...sorry.

buggedcom said:
interesting. is that a broad spec multi vitamin or some kinda calcium specific variety?

Usually, it's something like "A To Zinc" multiple vitamins. Linda bought some for me thinking I was going to take them so she got a type that is for men. Has next to no iron. :(

Mike

wordwiz said:
Usually, it's something like "A To Zinc" multiple vitamins. Linda bought some for me thinking I was going to take them so she got a type that is for men. Has next to no iron. :(

Mike

Something you're not telling us, Mike?? ;)

I've never had a calcium difficiency but I use wood ash from my woodstove and also eggshells and shellfish waste in my compost. Tums or rolaids apparently work well too. You can also use a tomato fertilizer, since they usually have a lot of calcium.
Using epsom salts or other magnesium sources may also aid in the uptake of calcium

Back