• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Calcium supplements

I was reading that adding calcium supplements to your soil can lower the pH level, and as peppers like acidic soil, you should be careful with how much you add. So I decided to see if there was a source of calcium that actually raised pH levels, and discovered one: calcium sulfate dihydrate, otherwise known as gypsum or plaster of paris. Great, I thought, except that I then realised that when it dries, it tends to make a pretty hard substance and started thinking that maybe this would not be such a great thing to put around plant roots.

Has anyone on here had any experience of using gypsum as a calcium supplement for plants? Is there a way to use it safely?

I grow in 100% coco Cori add my home made calcium,Have been doing it for past two years. no change in the ph level that I can see use cheapo test kit.

A number of commercial mixes use gypsum as a calcium source. The material is finely ground, and well dispersed; it does not make the soil hard. I've sometimes used gypsum for calcium when I can afford to wait a few weeks for full effect. If I need calcium right away, I use calcium nitrate.
Renais

Back