Calling all AUSSIE Sauce makers:

As many of you know the cost of sending our fine products to the other ends of the Earth is prohibitive. Add that to the fact that our parcels are used as footballs through the standard postal service, and you're never sure if they're actually going to arrive to your customer or not. I've been thinking that there must be a better way.

The answer is the Aussie sauce makers co-op (o.k so it really needs a better name than that :P)

Basically we band together - get bulk discount on air freight through a professional perishable goods freight company who delivers to a distributor in the U.S. As orders come in the distributor delivers to your customer for a few $ per unit.

I've been talking with the air freight council of Australia who have put me in touch with a very helpful company who amongst other things deliver fresh Seafood, Produce, Flowers, Dairy etc. They have offices throughout Australia & the U.S and a few other places around the globe.

I'm still nutting out a distribution company....in my spare time.

Great where do I sign? I hear you say. Whoa, slow down...theres a lot to do yet. What I really need is for all you Aussies who are or who know a sauce maker that may be interested in getting their product to U.S & England cheaper & safer to get in touch with me so we can form a co-op and get the ball rolling ...oh and think of a cool name too!

Who's in?

~bent

Negotiations are on hold while the shipping people go through their busiest week of the year.
On another note, I did find a source of new boxes, perfect size for 1 or 2 bottles with plenty of bubblewrap...could fit 3 bottles if you're confident about your postal service. They are 230 x 150 x 80 for 60 cents each. Nice thick board too.

It sounded like a good deal to me - what's everyone else using?

Latest from the freight ppl is that surface freight is going to save us a bundle (kinda knew that) They have containers going every 2 weeks that take 30 days to get to LAX & 35 days and dearer to NYC.
I'm thinking we try to find a distributor in LA.
Does someone know how much a bottle of sauce would cost to post from LA to NYC?
Just trying to nail down some numbers & see if it's all going to work out much cheaper.

hey man, I met some people last summer that seemed like they would like to distribute more sauces. problem is they are in Florida. but what the heck, costs you nothing to check it out. the web site is: yourhotsaucecompany.com
also if you are paying the freight, u might want to look into plastic bottles, instead of glass. plastic probably costs more, but in the long haul,
might be cheaper.

Thanks sauceman51 but that would mean trucking it from LA or NYC to Florida only to post it back out again. I'm sure there must be a distributer in LA ....so you can all get to try a little aussie sauce & have it burn a hole in your tongue & not your wallet!

I'm not sure about other postal services, but here in Israel the 'Israel Post' had me paying $1 for a 300 gram package to Europe, and $2 for the same package to America.
I can't see myself paying more than $5 for a none-express/overnight delivery. I just don't send packages that heavy.

How much does an average sauce bottle weigh? so, i don't have scales...
It costs me between 12 & 15 $au to send 1 bottle to the states, $20 to send two. Thats airmail but still will take from 8 to 14 days. Stillmanz can probably fill me in on the cost to Europe or UK. I've heard it's even more. Honestly who's going to buy a $8 bottle of sauce & pay $15 postage?
We reduce the postage, we can enjoy more sauces.

Thanks Pam I'm having trouble with the zip codes, addresses & can't get a quote from that link. Dial-up is a carbuncle in the backside of the pursual of knowledge!

Thinking about it, this could help us all out if we find the right carrier & a few well placed distribution points :think:

Back