• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can anyone bring me up to speed as to what has happened since 2011?

midwestchilehead said:
The Dragon's Breath is not a fake, but may not be what it is claimed to be. See this website for a good explanation of this controversial pepper.

None of what AJDrew wrote there would prove it's not a fake. Guess it depends on what your definition of the word "fake" is. I suspect this guy "ChilliBob" in the UK grew a few generations of some Scorpion variant, and then gave it a Bitchin' name and some boastful hype in the press. Overnight, everyone was sharing articles on social media, and ppl STILL tag me up on FB posts about it, 2 years later.

Props to AJDrew for buying seeds and growin'm out, to see for himself, and share his findings. He's always doing stuff like that... One of the better investigative growers.

This is a list of my old "package seed" stock, not including dried chillis with seeds I was sent, or any in the freezer, loose seeds etc.

Google Drive Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11rrtZJX9gVhCYRBHtKKhZ8IadmoXRCTXbHikYzQipp4/edit?usp=sharing

I have misplaced my collection numerous times over the years, owing mostly to moving house. It has been reassembled as seed packs have been found, and has taken me the better half of a day to catalog.

My mother found the 2013 collection about a week and a half ago in her house, "there are chilli seeds everywhere, I am always finding chilli seeds", part of the motivation of rejoining THP.

I am unsure of where I placed the PRF Brainstrain of 2009, I was sure they were inside a card sent to me, but as of yet, I have been unable to find it.

There are probably another 200-350 lose seeds at the bottom of the bags of dried chillis, and about the same in the freezer, including first generation Barrackpores that have been frozen since 2009 because the missus was scared of fruit fly larvae and that was an easy way to kill them then they kinda just sat there, remembered then forgotten about for all these years, and 3 freezers later.

My "used" stock is easily twice what is shown above, if not three or four times worth. To say I lost stock over the years is an understatement.

Feel free to let me know if there are any you are interested in me growing.

I want to address the Elephant in the room and that is my previous posts about losing stock all those years ago, and although many may not remember nor even care, for me it is playing heavy on my heart.

There was a series of unfortunate events, year after year I had numerous issues, some, like fungal infections, rot, insects etc, where outside of my control, others like plants getting cooked were within reason, kind of my own fault.

I lost about $1500 worth of bought seed, not including trades/gifts over the years, if not closer to near $2000.

I started growing Chillis in 2007 after growing Tomatoes since 2004/2005 (Heirloom Varieties), and lost every single grow between then and the summer of 2010/2011, except for Black Knight as I bought the seeds but forgot to plant them. I started growing Superhots in the Summer of 2008/2009.

The seeds that I have now from 2009 were lost/misplaced before my grow over the Summer of 2010/2011, which is why the "amounts" on nearly all of them are half or less than you would get in a full packet. It wouldn't surprise me if I had lost my shit at the time and threw everything in a box after losing the stock and dumped that box somewhere in a spare room or something. They were found again when I moved into this house in 2015.

The PepperLover order was placed at the end of December 2010, mere weeks before losing all my 2010/2011 stock, and resulting in the infamous post I made. I quit after that, which is why there are full amounts in those seeds packages, as I never planted them. I think it was Micca who sent me seeds after I lost my stock in 2011, but alas, they were never planted either.

The order from 2013 was an attempt for me to get back into growing over the summer of 2013/2014, I planted half the seeds, lost them all, quit again.

I remember my seed collection as being my pride and joy, I would spend hours looking over them, again and again, just dreaming of sharing the rewards one day.

I feel this time, I have quite a lot more knowledge going into another grow.

The dates for the most part should be correct, some from 2009 might be 2010 or 2011, but I am unable to get Order lists from every company. Most of my seed stock was long since used, so other companies I ordered from will not show in the list.

For anyone who ever sent me seeds and thinks that I cheated them after posting this list, I promise you that at that moment in time, I had no idea I had the seeds that are listed, but you have my apologies regardless because it is what it is, and for that I am sorry.

:welcome: back, Taj :)
Im one of the new kids on the block. Been lurking for a long time though..

Most replies has already told you about what's new in the pepper World.

One thing I've noticed over the past 4-5 years is that Pimenta da Neyde is an incredibly popular variety to cross with others.
I'm having trouble growing it myself. Grows tall and leggy but only produces a few flowers and I have yet to harvest a single fruit on one of the plants.

Bonchi (bonsai chili growing) is an underground thing - www.fatalii.net will teach you all you need to know about it. (in case you dont already know)

While many people are having trouble germinating seeds - I find that the ikea växer mini green house is outstanding. Even superhots seemingly germinate faster than I've seen with other cheap/simple products.
Although it aint on the us market it should be fairly simple to replicate.

-In the US you have Aerogarden which is very popular too.

This year I am experimenting with 3 gal fabric pots in hopes of replacing my old plastic pots.
So far the results are amazing and I really dont do much work for the plants to grow.
They have been growing inside since late winter because I live in Denmark Scandinavia where the weather still leaves us wanting decent night temps.
I dont even have to water the plants as often, and they thrive a whole lot better than plants in plastic pots do.
Whether or not 3 gal is the perfect size is beyond my knowledge - I can just say that the difference is quite noticeable for someone who's keeping it very simple.

I'm outta time now.. Hopefully my mumbling makes some kind of sense to you :)

If you're looking to replenish your seed stocks with fresh seeds check out Coles supermarket. They have a very impressive selection of peppers.
N3yIcnk.jpg

For a few bucks you could walk out with a lot of varieties. 

Wowser! You Aussies have it all!
Shorerider said:
If you're looking to replenish your seed stocks with fresh seeds check out Coles supermarket. They have a very impressive selection of peppers.
N3yIcnk.jpg

For a few bucks you could walk out with a lot of varieties. 

Orekoc said:
Next summer you should grow a bunch of Carolona Reapers and sell them for $5 for 20 grams.  You could make a fortune!

In Denmark we usually see people wanting to buy a couple of them for up to 10 x that amount for some random chili tasting at work or whatever - it's mostly outside the growing season though :D

Might be worth overwintering a plant, growing it under lights, for flowering and pods.  It could pay for itself!
J.H.Skarby said:
In Denmark we usually see people wanting to buy a couple of them for up to 10 x that amount for some random chili tasting at work or whatever - it's mostly outside the growing season though :D

J H Skarby is right about the PdN crosses being everywhere these days.  One of them, Pink Tiger, is incredibly popular with UK growers even though nobody has ever reproduced the stripes claimed by the original breeder.  I agree about PdN being difficult.  I didn't get a single pod last year.  Overwintered two plants.  One has just put out a few sparse flowers but none have set yet.  Maybe it's just not suited to the northern european climate.

I've also been very frustrated by the number of unstable crosses with fancy names out there, plus all the open-pollinated seed being sold, so it seems to be increasingly difficult to get genuine, pure, seed of any given variety.

Its easy to see why too. PdN crosses are some of the most beautiful plants to many people, and I am definitely one of them :)
In fact, I would do some crosses with PdN myself - if mine would start producing flowers... Someday.. XD

I suspect the climate to be an issue as well. Italian and US growers are getting excellent results... At least in comparison to those of us living in northern Europe.

Mitzi said:
J H Skarby is right about the PdN crosses being everywhere these days.  One of them, Pink Tiger, is incredibly popular with UK growers event though nobody has ever reproduced the stripes claimed by the original breeder.  I agree about PdN being difficult.  I didn't get a single pod last year.  Overwintered two plants.  One has just put out a few sparse flowers but none have set yet.  Maybe it's just not suited to the northern european climate.

Taj said:
What are Bubblegums? I understand that they bleed colour into the stem, and kind of taste sweetish but where did they come from?

Has anyone answered about the bubblegums?  According to THSC, they were bred by Jon Harper in the UK from a cross between a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and Yellow 7 pot pepper. 

https://thehippyseedcompany.com/product/bubblegum-7-pod/

I think the original was red and other colours have followed.

windchicken said:
Taj, I've been away from THP for a few years, as well, but I haven't stopped growing in all that time...I do love to get nostalgic for my early days on THP, and I miss some of the guys that helped me through those formative years but don't seem to be around here any more: wayright, capsidadburn, spicegeist, romy6, and alabama jack, to name just a few. What a great bunch of guys, without whom I would not be the grower I am today...

I have to second what so many said about trying to chase the insane proliferation of unstable crosses. I had a horse in the "super hot arms race" for a few years myself, but finally realized the folly of it, as Bicycle808 mentioned above. Now I grow a grand total of three varieties of super hot, and all the rest are Capsicum annuum.

You still can't go wrong with the 7 Pot Primo. The recent generations of Troy's wonderful pepper grow into massive, pod-laden trees, and the fruit stays fresh on the plants for weeks. And if you don't mind the perceived "bitterness" of the ButchT Scorpion, that is one of the most damnably robust and productive plants one can grow in the hot and dirty South. They are so strong and vigorous that it's almost like growing poke weed....One other super hot that should get more attention is Matthew Arthur's Wartryx, a stable, firm-fleshed, bonnet-shaped red pepper, the origin of which is known only to Matthew's bees. It does very well in full sun here in Louisiana, has excellent flavor and a clean, sharp burn. The plants present much like Scotch Bonnets, with the straight stalks and large, dark green, dimply leaves. It's a very pretty, almost ornamental plant.

I eat Primo Pepper every day, like a good Louisiana boy, but for me nothing rivals the deep, rich umami of New Mexico Chile, a.k.a. "Hatch Chile." It takes far more of it to get the same heat levels as a half pod or so of Primo Pepper, so one must grow, harvest, process, and eat massive quantities of maddeningly delicious chile to achieve the same effect. Problem? not for me! One day I mean to bleed green chile!

:hi:

Hey Mate,

I am in the exact same boat. used to grow when i lived in QLD and was somewhat active in here. but been out of it since 2012.

Living in VIC now and a mate just started up so figured i would jump in on a seed order and also dig out the old account. 

Feels completely new all over again.

Mitzi said:
Has anyone answered about the bubblegums?  According to THSC, they were bred by Jon Harper in the UK from a cross between a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and Yellow 7 pot pepper. 

https://thehippyseedcompany.com/product/bubblegum-7-pod/

I think the original was red and other colours have followed.

Ruid said:
It seems like it always goes that way with the exception of the Scotch Bonnets.

While maturing to red the most common, there are others besides Scotch Bonnets that don't:

aji-amarillo_chili_peru.jpg

Ají amarillo 

Aji-Limon-Peppers.jpg

Aji Limon

il_794xN.1527078659_tw5r.jpg

Habanero

Datil-Peppers.jpg

Datil

Pasilla-Bajio-1.jpg

Pasilla Bajio

_

Back