• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can I grow peppers now?

Hey, so I'm a beginner grower and trying to figure out if it's okay to grow peppers at this time of year? I wanna grow inside, for condition info I live in Estonia and in the winter isn't very sunny. I'm trying to grow Carolina Reapers, Trinidad Scorpions, Bhut Jolokia and finally Orange Habaneros.

Buy yourself a 315 watt ceramic metal halide lamp (CMH) with a 6000k bulb and also get a 4000k bulb to switch to when things start fruiting.

CMH is much better than the old metal halide or high pressure sodium lamps, doesn't put off nearly as much heat and you can easily use it in a grow tent.

juanitos said:
it is better to just wait till next year.

Neither is the summer in Estonia warm enough or long enough to grow Chinense varieties outdoors to maturity. Being our direct southern neighbor, Estonia is only a slightly better climate than southern Finland where I live.

Ruid said:
Isn't the electric bill crazy high from grow lights?

Less than using the air conditioning. Lighting technology is getting increasingly better. Wattage is typically 600W if you're growing under lights for the whole time. 

Another option is to use a grow room to just get the seedlings started. Such a setup is typically only 50W, perhaps less. If I was living in Estonia the peppers would be in a glass house with a small heater to stop it going below 5 Celsius. As long as it's not completely overcast there will still be enough light

Ruid said:
Isn't the electric bill crazy high from grow lights?
I run 4 T5 fluorescent bulbs, it cost me around $8 a month in Alabama, can't speak for Estonia.  I can grow 4-6 mature plants with this setup.  

If you're growing indoors and can control the temp, you can grow whenever you want.

Back