Can I put a T5 bulb in a regular flourescent aquarium light fixture?

I have a few aquarium light fixtures laying around and just wondered if the make different sized T5 bulbs and if I couldput them in said fixtures?  I have a jumpstart light system but the T5 in it is much smeller diameter than the aquarium fixture bulbs

There are many different T5 sizes.  You have to know what type of ballast you have to be sure you can run T5s in them.  It should be easy enough for you to find, a sticker or stamp somewhere on them.

millworkman said:
There are many different T5 sizes.  You have to know what type of ballast you have to be sure you can run T5s in them.  It should be easy enough for you to find, a sticker or stamp somewhere on them.

Browning said:
T5 in it is much smeller diameter than the aquarium fixture bulbs

There are many different sizes of T5 like Mill said but there is only one diameter. 5/8" which is why it is called a T5 not coincidentally. Check the balast like Mill said but chances are if it is made for a T12 or T8 bulb, it isn't the right wattage to run a T5. I think T5 runs at 54 watts but if I am wrong, I'm sure I will be corrected.  

There are a few different watt t5 bulbs. The 24" in a HO is 24 watts the 48" are 54 watts then you have a VHO 48" that is 96 watts. Like everyone said check the ballast most aquarium lights are t8.

Thanks guys I'll dig them out and update the post when I do.  I wish the jumpstart systems would go back on sale.  I got mine for $20 should have got a few

I have a 4 bulb 24" HO t5 I have been pondering on selling does great for seedlings. The t5's are great lights and do a good job.

My setup takes 24" ho globes. Ive still had no luck finding tubes down here and alot of US sellers wont post due to the fragile nature.

rebelgrower3 said:
I have a 4 bulb 24" HO t5 I have been pondering on selling does great for seedlings. The t5's are great lights and do a good job.
link to the one you use?

Back