• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Can I take 'em out to play?

Night time temps are 48F at the mo', with day temps around 68F. I know that it is still a little cool at night to leave the children out, but was wondering if it's fine to take them out during the day, and bring them in after dark?

I have direct sunlight for 30% of the daylight hours at present and 40% dappled sunlight, and figure that some shade will also toughen them up a little...

Actually, is 50F overnight terribly important, or is frost or the lack thereof the real issue? (We won't see frost again - barring a freak drop - before late May)

Cheers! :lol:

Send a few scouts out Huntsman. I've got a dozen plants outside in a mini greenhouse and they're doing fine. Don't know what your climate is like but you're further north than me with a much higher altitude so I'm guessing it's similar.

I'd put them out during the day and bring em in at night for the first 4 or 5 days before letting them stay outdoors overnight.

Thanks to both of you for your replies...much appreciated! ;-)

Jimmy, I have no GH outside, so it's all or nothing, I fear. I'm tempted to put a few scouts out - nice term that! - but aren't some species hardier than others? So even if some do thrive, it won't give me the info on others...??

Which species if hardy and which is not?

Surfbuddy - I've been doing this for two or three days a week for the past three weeks now...but I read that peppers do not like their roots to drop below 50F...any truth in this?

Anyhoo, thanks again for the effort, guys!

I don't know much about what's hardy and what's not. When I say mini green house I mean this:

Greenhouse001.jpg

Any garden centre or hardware store should stock them. I have 6 Jalapenos up top, 2 Dorset Nagas, 1 Trinidad Scorpion, 1 Yellow 7Pot, 1 Jonah 7Pot and I think the last is a Fatali.(Edit: 1 is wrong because I have a Serrano out there, too dark to check). They're out all night and they all look fine.

I have my plants outside permenantly now in 68 degree days and 50 degree nights......They are doing fine and growing well......48 degrees is still a bit low...Might stun them a bit.....Bring them inside at night for a while yet...:)

Nice set up, Jimmy! Might have to look into getting one of those for winter, but Spring is soooo close now! :-)

Hello moyboy - yep, I think I will give them another week indoors at night.....and then, BAM!

Thanks, fellas.

huntsman said:
Surfbuddy - I've been doing this for two or three days a week for the past three weeks now...but I read that peppers do not like their roots to drop below 50F...any truth in this?

I don't believe the roots would have time to reach air temp due to the small thermal mass of your potting mix and the lowest temp of the night usually happens just before sunrise and doesn't last very long. Before you leave them out overnight I wouldn't be skipping days during your 7 to 10 day hardening off process, unless it's stormy, and make sure you're gradually introducing them to a little wind as well. By the time they are ready to sleep outdoors your lows will probably be above 50 anyway. Just don't get impatient and rush it. You've brought them this far and you don't want to lose them now. :)

Yeah, good point!

I'll put them out daily for a week longer then. Cheers!

Wind has been a real factor, and one plant was flattened, but I cannot control this when I am not here. Perhaps I should stake 'em...

huntsman said:
Yeah, good point!

Wind has been a real factor, and one plant was flattened, but I cannot control this when I am not here. Perhaps I should stake 'em...

Yeah, stake em but tie loosely and place them in a sheltered area where the full wind force can't reach them to start. The whole hardening process is a gradual intro to sun, wind and weather.

huntsman said:
Yeah, good point!

I agree with SS.....You really should be staking them for sure. I have mine staked as soon as they start to go outside as September brings some strong winds around these parts.

Darn! I should have realised this might become a problem but was hoping they'd strengthen up without staking.

You stake them all, MB? Not just the weak ones?

Dammit to hell!

Too late! The one that was blown strongly by the wind has just snapped off in my hand when I started to stake. Grrrrrrrr! I feel like saying 'SHIT!' right there, but had better not. The damage had already been done, I'm afraid, but thanks for the advice, lads - I'm staking all the rest today!

Man, the little guy had made it to almost pencil thickness and was healthy as a horse, and now he's passed....(Memorial's at the Yeshiva Synagogue this evening. The family is distraught, and ask that you send seeds instead of flowers)

What about somehow getting the cut off stem to grow from a cutting? Anyone know if that can work?

It sure will, do a search for advice on the best way. I have grown healthy plants from cuttings just by wrapping in a wet rag and placing in a plastic cup. 2 plants in a 20L paint tin lasted all winter outdoors and died because I forgot to water the bastards halfway through the second summer. D'oh.

Back