• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Can leaves get this big without fertilizer?

dragon49 said:

When I get home from work, I'll have to measure the leaves and post again.  This is how I measured the inside of the pot:

I took a measuring tape and put it on the top inside and wrapped it around.  When the other side of the tape hit where I started, this was around 11 1/2 inches.  Is this correct technique? 
no, that's the circumference of the pot...

just measure from one side of the pot to the other - not around the outside of it..

diameter-of-circle-300x300.jpg

id guess its like 4" diamater

That's circumference, not diameter.

Diameter is distance across the circle.

Edit:  Fine, beat me to the reply....

Guess I'll do the math to make my reply worthwhile then:

11.5 circumference = 3.66 diameter

I did earlier admit I was bad at math ;)  I just measured the diameter.  It is between 4 1/4 inches and 4 1/2 inches.  If Wulf's math is correct, then I screwed up the circumference a little as that was hard to measure accurately.  It is easy to measure the diameter across the top.  Not including the stem, the largest leaf is 2/ 1/2 inches wide and 1 1/2  inches wide.  My leaves are usually smaller until I start adding nutes.

Geometry: Relationship between diameter and circumference of a circle is a constant called Pi =3.14 (I cant type the symbol here)

It goes like this: circumference = diameter x Pi (3.14)

Trying to help and bump my post count, I joined today and it's only my second post ;-)

Ok, I was guessing in the 4-5" range - anything in there is close enough to give us an idea of the true size of the leaves. I'd say the leaves are fairly standard-sized for several varieties - they just are what they are.

Generally the cotyledons feed the developing plant so no nutes are needed until they fall off. Once they fall off, however, you've got to give them something - a very small something, but something. Ideally what you give them is a root stimulating mix at this point. Once they start branching, give them a mix that promotes foliage growth. Once the plants get to be a decent size and buds are forming, switch to a mix that promotes buds and blooms. Then, of course, something more focused on maintaining production. 

taboule - Welcome!

I second the welcome to taboule!

I just transplanted the plant into a 5 gallon bucket - Because the bucket is so big, the plant appears much smaller now.  I gave the pot a good soaking—Just water for now.  After it dries out, I'll start giving it a small dose of nutes.

G - Thanks as always :)

No plans to top it.  I find if the top light is close enough to the top of the leaves and if I hit the plant with some side light, I get very good internodal spacing with enough branches for buds to form.  The only thing that I may do to interfere with nature is to pull buds before the plant gets to a certain height.  Your plants look very healthy.  What are you fertilizing with and at what strength?

1968dart said:
All organic. I use urea, potash, bone meal. I use a 1 part urea, 1 part potash, 2 parts bone meal. Mix together them mix one teaspoon in 1 gallon of water.
Thanks,

I may try this.

A quick follow-up:

How often do you fertilize - Every watering?  Every second watering? Every fifth watering?

dragon49 said:
I took a measuring tape and put it on the top inside and wrapped it around.  When the other side of the tape hit where I started, this was around 11 1/2 inches.  Is this correct technique? 
That is the circumference.

Back