• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Can seedlings handle full sun

My peppers http://i.imgur.com/Lqgxpmw have been in the side yard for the past month and it gets about 4 hours of direct sunlight. I can move them somewhere that gets sunlight for almost double that but I don't want them to get fried. Temps are ~80f in afternoon, is it safe?

I've found that once the seedlings get approximately to that point, by and large they can handle full sun. They may need some extra water at first due to their size (not too much of course), but beyond that, what they're at now, they should be good. If they do begin to get sunburn, bring them in to let them heal for a couple days then ease them back out into it...

I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to full sun and seedlings (assuming they were started indoors.) Because of that, I'd recommend you find a place where they'll get maybe 6 hours/day for a while, then go all-out.

adnewr said:
What do you do with the ones that don't handle it too well?
I might try to find a place where they get partial sun, otherwise nice knowing ya. Annums do the best in my garden they seem to be able to handle the most direct sun for longest. I babied my seedlings the first couple years, its too much work for me now. I have a few varieties now that i like and grow that do well for me and that i can always depend on in my climate. I grow other varieties without much hope for success but every once in a while a few survive. It all depends on how much work you wanna put in, getting to know your climate, and how different chiles respond to it.

Moisture is a big component of planting directly outside. 80F-ish is not bad, and as noted above, if they're sowed in full sun they tolerate it better.Once you get 90F+, that's when you have to be careful about watering more often. 

Back