dehydrators Can Smoked Pepper Damage A Dehydrator?

Hi all, I'm hoping someone who's done this will know the answer. I want to smoke some habanero chilies and then dry them out in my dehydrator. Will the smoke odor from the chilies taint the dehydrator in any way? Say if I dry a batch of fruit after the chilies, will the fruit get the "smokey" smell or taste? Or do you all use one dehydrator for chilies only?

I know from other people to do this in the garage and not in the house. :lol:

I have a Nesco FD-75PR (Snackmaster Pro 700 Watt Food Dehydrator) where the fan and element are on top and the trays are all on the bottom.

Thanks!

i smoked quite a few batches of chiles this year and then dehydrated - never noticed the infusion of the smokey flavor into the next batch of chiles. i also nesco with the fan on top and plastic trays on bottom. the trays don't seem to smell like smoke afterwards. i only use the dehyrdater for chiles or beef jerkey so while i dont think that the smoke flavor would carry over to fruit, i couldn't say for sure.

Thanks. :)

I guess if it does get tainted I can use that as an excuse to get a second one. Our first one hasn't stopped running since Christmas! I can't dry fruit fast enough before the kids eat it all up. :lol:

I agree with Buddy on this one, same dehydrator and method. It still hasn't gotten the smoke smell. It s all good my friend.

To be safe make your first batch of fruit after the smokey stuff a fruit that would go good with it if needed. I suggest pineapple, the plus side there is the strength of its scent will help clear it some if it does transfer.

i smoked quite a few batches of chiles this year and then dehydrated - never noticed the infusion of the smokey flavor into the next batch of chiles. i also nesco with the fan on top and plastic trays on bottom. the trays don't seem to smell like smoke afterwards.

Same here & I have the same kind of dehydrator.

A couple of years ago, I smoked a batch of chilies but somehow forgot about them. I found them in the grill (an old one I adapted to use as a smoker) and they chilies were completely dehydrated! But all except the last batch I dried in a dehydrator and never noticed any smokey flavor or smell afterward.

Mike

My peppers are in my Big Green Egg now for an overnight smoke. They'll go in the dehydrator in the morning. I'll post my results. :)

Thanks. :)

I guess if it does get tainted I can use that as an excuse to get a second one. Our first one hasn't stopped running since Christmas! I can't dry fruit fast enough before the kids eat it all up. :lol:

HaHa true, you can just have two... one for smoking and one for not! If you noticed a difference i think you could use bleech and water to soak it for a bit to remove any lingering oders...

hope it helps xo

My pepper roast is done. I smoked them on my egg for about 14 hours, in a snow storm. :lol: Some snow even fell on a couple of the peppers.

peppers.jpg

After that, put them in the dehydrator for about 20 hours, but only that long because I forgot about them. Ground them up in the Magic Bullet, which works very well, and tried some in a tuna sandwhich I made today. Pretty hot!

Dehydrator doesn't smell either.

Cheers!

Back