• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Can someone identify this type of chili pepper from my grocery store?

Hello,

I'm all new to the world of chilies so I don't know if this question can even be answered with precision but I bought those "mini chili peppers" from my local grocery store. They have been grown in marocco but that's pretty much all I know since they are not given a name.

Can someone identify what type or "class" (I don't know the jargon sorry) of chili these are? The colors are not accurate due to my phone. I've tried a red one raw and I'd say it's fairly spicy compared to others I've had before. They are about 2cm in length on average (a bit less than 1inch). Thank you!

277219090_1364866570603249_9092697814264901838_n.jpg
277180112_295312259246016_141363676848819376_n.jpg

The ggn number gives some info on the internet. It's a registered grower in Morroco without any company profile, so a dead end there. Searched it on google pictures and discovered more prepackaged peppers with the same ggn number.
Some were named Bird eye wich is compliant with how they look. So my educated quess would be Bird eye chiles! 😀

The problem is that bird eye can be a number of different varieties. Both annuum and frutescens. "All" chilies that look like this are called birds eye, especially in Africa and Asia.

The problem is that bird eye can be a number of different varieties. Both annuum and frutescens. "All" chilies that look like this are called birds eye, especially in Africa and Asia.
That's true! These seem like the Annuum type though... In the Netherlands these are sold as Rawit, also a generalizing term used for varied types of Bird eyes.
If the O.P. likes them much, best thing to do is to get some seeds from these peppers! 😉

The ggn number gives some info on the internet. It's a registered grower in Morroco without any company profile, so a dead end there. Searched it on google pictures and discovered more prepackaged peppers with the same ggn number.
Some were named Bird eye wich is compliant with how they look. So my educated quess would be Bird eye chiles! 😀
Bird's eye is shorter. I think this is Rawit.

Bird's eye is shorter. I think this is Rawit.
I would call them Rawit as well, but I don't know for sure if Rawit is an actual variety or a collective name for these kind of peppers. Here in the Netherlands i've seen many different phenos, stumpy, pointy, big and small etc. They always pack quite a punch though! I grew them last year and they became almost 2 meters high loaded with peppers. Still got bags full of dried, smoked and frozen Rawit. Enough to make me skip them in this years grow. 😃

I would call them Rawit as well, but I don't know for sure if Rawit is an actual variety or a collective name for these kind of peppers.

I have seen them listed as Rawit, birds eye thai etc. Kind of confusing these names :) When I google Rawit google shows me the birds eye Wikipedia. I might get the feeling that Rawit is a variety of c.annuum that's under the Birds eye umbrella?

Here in Norway they sell something called rawit at the store, but here they are much smaller. Tiny tiny little things.

Back