Can someone please explain? (accurately)

I am new to this whole pepper thing and I must say the naming is extremely frustrating and confusing. It really makes me want to avoid some seed sources just because I feel they are promoting this confussion for profit. And why can't the pepper community just classify a seed as a hybrid like the rest of the seed saving/growing community does?

Sm1nts2escape said:
I am new to this whole pepper thing and I must say the naming is extremely frustrating and confusing. It really makes me want to avoid some seed sources just because I feel they are promoting this confussion for profit. And why can't the pepper community just classify a seed as a hybrid like the rest of the seed saving/growing community does?
The sad part is the majority of it is coming from the backyard grower.

Dale, I am not sure I agree with the naming being the fault of backyard growers - can you offer any examples? Profit would not be their motivation unlike some of the less honorable seed suppliers.

thepodpiper said:
The sad part is the majority of it is coming from the backyard grower.

I'm not Dale and I'm not speaking for him. I believe what he is alluding to is that most new and/or uneducated gardeners don't know the difference between hybrid, heirloom or something they "discovered". Novice or uneducated gardeners see something pop up in their gardens that is not true to the picutre they saw in the one and only seed catalog they have and they figure they have created something new. I don't believe profit is their motivation, unless of course they sell seeds on Ebay.

Robisburning said:
Dale, I am not sure I agree with the naming being the fault of backyard growers - can you offer any examples? Profit would not be their motivation unlike some of the less honorable seed suppliers. That my friend is a major problem. One or more are members of this forum.

It's not done yet. My friend's saying its's only an inch tall. If it looks like what I hope it will, I'm gonna start looking for excuses to go to California.

First of all I'm just giving my opinion. Seed sellers do it on purpose and backyard growers could be doing it for a number of reasons. One being they really don't know any better. If you read my posts it pretty much explains my opinion. I never said it was the fault of the backyard grower.
 If you really need examples just look at the long list of peppers that have appeared on the scene and trace them back.

I get the same feeling at times when I look at several different named varieties and some look totally identical to ones that have different names to them, I think that some may have started out as what they were supposed to be and have since crossed with others, which can add to the confusion.
Lately if I get anything sent to me and it has a name I usually consider it a cross untill I can confirm that it is what its supposed to be
as there are just to many accidental crosses going on, that it makes it difficult to tell just what is what.
I don't mind that they may have crossed if I use them just for myself, but I try and not trade them as they may have crossed and will just add to all the confusion that is going on.

If the accidental crosses are happening, that's what a mini greenhouse is for. A backyard grower shouldn't have a problem, but the people who run companies need to make the investment. I don't see how a backyard grower wound't know the names of what he or she planted earlier that year, so they wouldn't be renaming except as a marketing ploy or if its different. Like my orange brainstrain for example. I call it that rather then yellow brain strain because it's, you know, kinda orange not yellow. I wouldn't start calling my sunrise scorpion "upwards pointing scorpion" because it is already called sunrise scorpion.

Robisburning said:
Cruzzfish, I could not agree with you more.  While this lazy nicknaming obscures the origin of peppers and can lead to one pepper having multiple names, it adds absolutely nothing of value to us growers.  As I understand it, the Baccatum named Kaleidoscope is an example of this cheap marketing trick. Jim Duffy, who has been quite dismissive of hobby growers from what I have seen, may be responsible for it: Lazy marketing Jargon

Perhaps you should introduce him to the Peter Pepper x Big Bertha?
+1 marketing trick! I'm not going into logistics but I fully belive this.

Actually don't belive it, i know...

I say give them all Latin names that we have to stick to. Then everyone can give them whatever common names they want, but the Latin will always tell us their true identity. 

I want to know what peppers people think are the same but named differently. For example, do you think the brown moruga and moruga chocolate are the same? If they are the same, I don't think that one is the fault of backyard growers. Judy has tradmarked the brown moruga. What probably happened was two different moruga plants spit out brown pods from different places.

SL3 said:
I say give them all Latin names that we have to stick to. Then everyone can give them whatever common names they want, but the Latin will always tell us their true identity. 

We are not suppose to give varieties Latin names according to botanical naming conventions. This will add to more confusion. What we probably need is a registry.

Reactions: SL3
There isn't enough paper in the world to fit the names of all numbered peppers. Imagine somone's grow log

50xPepper 45240931393022032950283080432
20x Peppe 4392589347589327589
et cetera. And then you have to worry about getting the number mixed up a little bit when you tell others about it and on your order, Much easier to say "trinidad douglah" as long as a douglah is a douglah, not chocolate 7 pod, brown 7 pod, or anything else.

Dulac said:
I want to know what peppers people think are the same but named differently. For example, do you think the brown moruga and moruga chocolate are the same? If they are the same, I don't think that one is the fault of backyard growers. Judy has tradmarked the brown moruga. What probably happened was two different moruga plants spit out brown pods from different places.

We are not suppose to give varieties Latin names according to botanical naming conventions. This will add to more confusion. What we probably need is a registry.
Registry? Not a bad idea.

Back