• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

can t5's really grow pods

I was wondering if you can really grow peppers from seed to pods with t5 lighting only.  And im not talking about a one foot plant with three pods on it.  I know there is better tech but can this be done. If anyone has successfully done it I would love to see pics. Thanks for all who reply.

It can be done, sure, but it is not the ideal. You can pick up much better lighting cheaper than dirt online. I use a 400w HPS and MH for most of my indoor growing. I do have a few LED and fluorescent bulbs for certain applications, but really, there is no substitute for HPS and MH when it comes to indoor growing.

All my plants in the basement have LED or T5 over them. Mainly use T5 for veg or supplemental with the LED but i'm sure you could set pods with T5s. Never tried just T5 though so can't say for certain. 

T5 is just a fluorescent lamp like t8 and  t12. What makes a difference is lamp wattage and color temperature.

Yup. But not ideal.
Only a dedicated heathead would spend the money required.

So says a guy with a portable grow room usually reserved by people for *other* types of plants, an 8 tube T5 with expensive bulbs,  an active aqua 4 bucket hydro setup, and a monthly nutrient bill.

But.

This year I may end up with a 3 1/2 month grow season suitable for peppers (if it doesn't fall below 40F till the middle of September), so to get any peppers at all of the desired type, I must start them indoors around late February/ March.

They go outside after the last threat of frost----this year, first weekend of June.

Even so, though a couple have been fantastic, still no SB7J, BBG7 only 2 pods and only a few pods of Aji Pineapple.

Without an indoor grow of some sort, I would likely only be able to grow Jalapenos or Serranos in this climate.

Gotrox said:
Yup. But not ideal.
Only a dedicated heathead would spend the money required.

So says a guy with a portable grow room usually reserved by people for *other* types of plants, an 8 tube T5 with expensive bulbs,  an active aqua 4 bucket hydro setup, and a monthly nutrient bill.

But.

This year I may end up with a 3 1/2 month grow season suitable for peppers (if it doesn't fall below 40F till the middle of September), so to get any peppers at all of the desired type, I must start them indoors around late February/ March.

They go outside after the last threat of frost----this year, first weekend of June.

Even so, though a couple have been fantastic, still no SB7J, BBG7 only 2 pods and only a few pods of Aji Pineapple.

Without an indoor grow of some sort, I would likely only be able to grow Jalapenos or Serranos in this climate.

same here but I started mine in late DEC - Early January. 

I have on spot with 4 bucket hydro and another I can use (but currently not ) with 2 buckets. I have 4 blackstar 240 Flower model LEDs and a 4 bulb T5ho and a 2bulb T5ho fixture though i'm down to only 1 T5 bulb working at the moment  :rolleyes:  

My seedling rack just has a bunch of T8 bulbs

in order to maximize T5 bulbs efficiency you MUST use a fixture with built in reflectors. those cheap shop fixtures don't work well because half the light is wasted.

i have one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-4-Light-T5-White-High-Output-Fluorescent-High-Bay-IBC-454-MV/202838871

each bulbs has it's own V-Shaped reflector and it takes all the light from the tube and points it downward. it is blinding bright.. with 4 proper sized bulbs it puts out 20,000 lumens. more than enough to grow 2-3 good size plants side by side in a 4x2' area with the light about 5-8 inches above the plants.

T5 bulbs have also come a long way too. there are now special made bulbs that provide par light needed. they are cheap too.. http://htgsupply.com/Product-AgroMax-4ft-T5-Pure-Par-Bulbs

here are some other T5 grow bulbs including pure UV bulbs http://htgsupply.com/Category-T5-Fluorescent
which can be mixed in for even better spectrum.

I have one 16 bulb fixture and one 12 bulb fixture both 4ft.  I am growing in fox farm ocean forest soil with fox farm nutes.  They are currently in 3 gal pot but will pot up to 5gal buckets. I have 28 of the 6500k bulbs, 8 of the 3000k, 8 pure par veg, 8 pure par bloom and 4 of the UV-A bulbs.  I am only using the 6500k bulbs right now but will mix up if thats better. All of the fixtures and bulbs where given to me by a buddy who tried to grow marijuana and gave up on it.
I figured being a pepper lover why not try my hand at growing some peppers lol. So I joined this forum started reading and here I am. I don't mind the electricity hike just really want to grow some peppers at this point. I figure I have too much free equipment to be buying more if this doesn't work will just have to grow outside next spring.

0906151618.jpg
0906151618a.jpg
0906151618b.jpg
0906151618c.jpg

Hehehe. Figured  *someone* was trying to grow something else------uv bulbs aren't really necessary for peppers.

And I do get very good results with 4 pot DWC Active Aqua "root spas" and good grow lights in the 4' x 8 tube T5 with hammered reflector.

But something, or somethings are aparantly missing---be it humidity fluctuations, wind, rain, temperature flucuations, diminishing light period---something----from my indoor grow compared to my outdoor grow.

Inside, I get a few peppers and loads of flower drop, outside (in same pots and same nutes) my Fatali yellow this year had a branch so heavy it broke from the weight of the pods.

And all my plants in hydro are over 6' tall.

Which is kind of a PITA having to refill them every 3 days.

Back