• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

can this compost be used??

Just got off the phone with a local place that sells compost at $15/yd. However when I asked what is used to make it he told me cooking grease, septic water and food sludge. Everything in me wants to run for the hills, but the price tag has me wondering. Can this be used in pepper gardening? I would think it's strictly for filling holes etc.. But they advertise it as being great for gardens. Help!

Think of the cooking grease this way... They can make fuel with it. 

Septic water for compost? No thanks, there is bacteria that could be harmful. If they are talking grey water, there could be dyes, bleach, etc. in it. 

No expert but it does sound gross. However I could be wrong. 

Here's how I look at it: Folks usually tend to to "talk up" the product they're hawking. If those are the ingredients he's TELLING you about, it makes me wonder what kind of horrors he might be keeping on the DL.
     Also, what in the hell is "food sludge" supposed to be?! My guess is since it's labeled so ambiguously, it probably contains some kind of mystery meat - definitely not something you want in a garden.
     I would be leery of getting that "compost" on my skin, let alone growing food crops in it.

Thanks y'all, they will not be getting my business. Knew it was too good to be true lol. I'm just looking for soil in bulk so I can save a few bucks on my garden.
I did find a place that sells "gardeners choice" at $40/yd. They claim the ingredients to be 75% black dirt 25% organic materials. The local community garden uses it with great results, wonder how I could ammend it for growing in bags

NO human wastes should go into your garden, period!  A golf course made on top of an old dump like we have here then sure.  About same price gets you an entire truck filled here with top notch compost I've had great results with.  Its bulk though and you have to transport.  You pay and a 3yd loader will dump into your truck until you tell him to stop.  It pays to have a BIG truck.  Once they bag it and send it to the stores the retail is about $8 for 2 cu ft.

Nuclieye said:
NO human wastes should go into your garden, period!  A golf course made on top of an old dump like we have here then sure.  About same price gets you an entire truck filled here with top notch compost I've had great results with.  Its bulk though and you have to transport.  You pay and a 3yd loader will dump into your truck until you tell him to stop.  It pays to have a BIG truck.  Once they bag it and send it to the stores the retail is about $8 for 2 cu ft.
This is what I'm trying to find. I have a short bed truck that'll fit about a yard, but seemingly no one here sells quality soil or compost in bulk. My alpaca guy said I could come load up my truck, but that would only fulfill one part of my mix

twilliams386 said:
Just got off the phone with a local place that sells compost at $15/yd. However when I asked what is used to make it he told me cooking grease, septic water and food sludge. Everything in me wants to run for the hills, but the price tag has me wondering. Can this be used in pepper gardening? I would think it's strictly for filling holes etc.. But they advertise it as being great for gardens. Help!

I'd ask if this came from a waste water treatment plant and had been tested for use with food crops -as in E.coli.

JJJessee said:
I'd ask if this came from a waste water treatment plant and had been tested for use with food crops -as in E.coli.
I should, but I think I'm just gonna stay away from that place and everything it has to offer.
Here's the reply they sent when I asked via email what their sources were and if they included human septic waste.

"The sources are wood waste, grease trap waste, and sewer sludge. So yes it is partially made from human septic.

We are State regulated, and the finish product is sent off periodically for testing. The finished product is a Grade A Compost (which is the highest quality grade possible.

Thanks again,

Super Dirt Sales"

I wouldn't recommend it for a different reason. The local version of similar, and I believe this holds for all "refuse" compost, is that they're very nutrient dense, particularly nitrogen, and can't be used in the same ratio as standard compost. No matter how they label it, someone always wipes out a few plants every year.

As for the hygienics, the composting process reaches temperatures much higher than a bin at home. I don't see how it's much different than other compost, other than perception and variation in strength.

miguelovic said:
I wouldn't recommend it for a different reason. The local version of similar, and I believe this holds for all "refuse" compost, is that they're very nutrient dense, particularly nitrogen, and can't be used in the same ratio as standard compost. No matter how they label it, someone always wipes out a few plants every year.

As for the hygienics, the composting process reaches temperatures much higher than a bin at home. I don't see how it's much different than other compost, other than perception and variation in strength.
Well perception is pretty big. I don't use my compost pile as a toilet.
But you're reasoning does make sense. I wouldn't want something packed with nutrients, no matter the source, that aren't properly analyzed or labeled.

Haven't they always said not to put grease or proteins in the compost?

Not to mention how vague "wood waste" is. I don't want chemically treated lumber in my compost. Pine dust sure, but there are loads of trees out there that shouldn't go in. Let alone construction materials. I wish I could track down anyone who's used this stuff. Or maybe just go check it out for myself and see what their trade A compost actually looks feels and smells like.

I'll take my hazmat suit

Could be the heat level of the compost. Not really boned up on the topic, just what I've heard about the local stuff. Poking around for a bit, the grease/protein warning for home composting might be the animal attraction issue as well.

I didn't write this in the last post, but as you mentioned it...

My favourite crap ever was on a composting toilet :D But then, the view of Salt Spring island covered in mist and sunshine was epic. Helped relax the bowels. I also then later had breakfast of food I assumed was made from the poop. But in all probability, they may have just added it to pasture for cow feed. In that case, it was bloody delicious raw cow milk poop juice.

Win-win?

miguelovic said:
Could be the heat level in home composting. Not really boned up on the topic, just what I've heard about the local stuff.

I didn't write this in the last post, but as you mentioned it...

My favourite crap ever was on a composting toilet :D But then, the view of Salt Spring island covered in mist and sunshine was epic. Helps relax the bowels.
That's where I'll place my executive bathroom. One day

withywindle72 said:
look on craigslist for local horse manure that has been composted.. got some free last year and it worked wonderfuly!
Good thinking! Just found composted horse manure for 20 a truck load. Man there aren't nearly as many ranchers out here as there are where I grew up. This Would be been a whole lot easier there.

So once I have the soil and composted manure, ill still need peat and perlite right?

Human septic is not dangerous if composted properly.. But does that make it safe?

Pathogens are killed and the compost is checked to make sure of that. However, what do people flush down the toilet? Right, not just shit. Also chemical waste, Motoroil, detergents, drugs, medicines. Even people on chemo need to poop, I shit you not..

So yes, everything is monitored and is within levels. But imagine that in the 80s we allowed up to 1000x higher amounts of certain heavy metals in our food/water. Those levels are adjusted over time, according to new studies.

I wouldn't risk it. Just start your own compost pile. The bigger the better. Or buy from a local composter that uses greens from city greenery.

Yeah I started my compost pile last fall, but it's not big enough or composted enough to use yet. Hopefully by this fall I can get a decent bin or area made up for it

Back