• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Can you cross breed anything to make it hotter than the butch t?

I am just wondering if you can cross anything with a trinidad scorpion to make it hotter?

Seeds are almost like cell phones now days! People are always coming out with something hotter. The current record holder ( as far as I know) Is the Trinidad Scorpion ButchT strain. But I'm sure there is one that beats it, its call the 7 pot brain strain. So, the answer should be yes, as long as they can stablize the strain that is.

I'm pretty sure that Brain strain needs to be stabalized , but if it was it could be in Guiness book.

Yeah, you can cross breed to make something hotter perhaps, but you'll have to stabalize the strain, which could be years of work, and then you might not end up with a pepper that was as hot as a random cross.

my personal view on this is that any of the "trinidad" super hots varieties at any given time, with the right variables could be hotter! just like the worst sports team on the right day could beat the best! just my 2C as i have eaten pods off my plants that wrecked me and some that did not! just depends!

Brain strain is a stable strain. As far as I know It was not a cross but a mutation. I think I still find the Scorpion-BT to be hotter and/or nastier
Crossing peppers can make them hotter but to do this best you'd likely need to grow dozens+ of plants(crosses) and only choose the hottest pods from the hottest plant for up to 8 generations.
There are really only 2 super-hot Trinidad landrace peppers, the others are just new crosses or mutations. There are already lots of people crossing the 7 pods and scorpions trying to beat the current Scoville record, but to me the Guinness hottest pepper record has always been a joke and they have always been very wrong in the past

Once you start getting hotter, wouldn't you have to worry about Homeland Security taking them away and labeling them as weapons of mass destruction? Of course, given how many variables go into making a pepper spicy (nurture and nature), it might be difficult telling how well to go about it.

:)
I think they've already banned pure capsaicin in the UK. I hope I never need a license to grow super-hot peppers but I would't be surprised the way people abuse them these days. It is one of the only great buzzes left that is not controlled by the government

I'm pretty sure that Brain strain needs to be stabalized , but if it was it could be in Guiness book.

Why would it need stabalized??? Although the BS is already stable, my seeds grew exactly into pods that were what Cappy had off the parent plant that my seeds came from. Guinness gave the Naga Viper the crown and it was a fresh out the gate cross, that still isnt stable, and this is why there are no mass quantities of seeds available for sale. Although the Butch T took it down shortly after it got the crown, Guinness, like Potawie said, is a joke. I mean come on, they will give any idiot a crown if he can make them money, have you looked at some of the assinine titles they have awarded?

Back