• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Can you still buy Daves Insanity sauce?

I am not sure what pepper is used. I have a bottle. I think I have used it twice... I am not a big fan of extract sauces either. If you need to add some heat to a pot of chili or stew, and have no other options, you could use this sauce... but the flavor isn't all that great... at least in my opinion.

Couldn't say, as I have never had frostbite sauce. I just get tired of extract sauces. I was into them for a bit... just trying to get 'the hottest sauce', but then I realized that they basically just sat in my fridge, never being used. They have a bitter/metallic taste to them, and really don't compliment foods very well. With the abundance of superhots that are available now, you can get plenty of heat using fresh peppers in hot sauces without the need for weapons grade extract being added to the sauce.

For instance, I just picked up some of CaJohn's Scorpion sauce. It has a wonderful flavor, and plenty of heat. I just poured quite a bit of it on some brown rice that I was eating, and actually broke a pretty good sweat. I think once you get past some of the fresh sauces, you are sacrificing flavor for heat... and that isn't all that appealing to me.

I am sure that other opinions will differ, but that is just my $0.02, as it were.

HotPeppas, why do you want Dave's Insanity Sauce? What would you be using it for?

Are you looking at it just because it has a reputation of being really hot? Westin described it pretty well. It's been around for a long time and was probably the first "extreme" product (notice I don't call it a sauce) on the market. If you're looking at it for the novelty extreme heat factor, OK, but if you actually want to use it........I'd suggest to keep looking.....

Now-a-days, there are MAAANNY hot sauces that have some good flavor, don't contain extract, will kick your pa-tooty into tomorrow, and are made with some of the great super-hot chiles that we now have available.

There are some other capsaicin products on the market that will heat food up but aren't extracts. I think Frostbite is one of those type products, I tasted it at ZestFest mixed in with some margharita mix.

jmho~

I really like the Melinda's series of sauces. I have been using the naga jolokia sauce a lot recently. It has a great flavor, and a good burn without detracting from the over all taste. Heart Breaking Dawn's 1841 sauce is a ghost pepper sauce as well, but it isn't overwhelmingly hot. It has a wonderful flavor that is kind of sweet, and then kicks in with some spice. I would highly recommend it.

http://www.melindas.com/sauces/nagajolokia.html - Melinda's Naga Jolokia [the scotch bonnet sauce is to die for, as well.]

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/h631.html - HBD 1841

dang i never realized until now that my Daves Ghost Pepper sauce has extract in it. I thought it was just a really hot ghost pepper sauce. they sell it at the local green life here in asheville.

Definitely an extract sauce, I can still find it carried at a number of local non-chain markets in my area. I've always used it in large applications like a pot of chili or something of the sort. Not so much to smoother my meal in. Does the trick.

Back