• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Canadian Pepper Growers

Hey Everyone!
I just wanted to say im so pumped to have found such and informative and active board of people who share the same excitement for growing!!
im new in the pepper scene (first Time) and have been looking around the site for a few days before i signed up...Needless to say ive learned more in the past few days about growing peppers than i could have imagined. I just havent noticed to much Canadian content, Currently im growing Jalapenos, Serranos and Habaneros looking to get more into the Super Peppers as well, i was wondering if anyone has any tips about growing in canada. i have been growing them in a south facing window for 2 weeks now, with little luck on germination. So the yesterday i tried sprouting them in cups ill see how well that goes. If i transport them to a greenhouse for the summer and bring them in for the winter would i be able to keep them? or would they just kinda wither away in the house?? Any tips on Canadian growing?? Thanks everyone

Welcom_From_Wisconsin.gif

Over wintering plants, do OK for most. Techniques, suitable location and treatment very but these guy/gals will help you out, at some point post your ?'s in the grow forum, you will get the answers you seek.

Burning Colon = one of your Canadian connections.

Enjoy_The_Site_Spicy_Chicken.gif

hey jeff, again just love your website and think you are just an absolute wonder to this forum, thanks for pointing the new guy in the right direction.

:welcome: from Kansas. Got a friend here from Canada and I'm sure you'll run into him and alot more Canadians so just hang in there

don't worry RJ, haven't forgot about you... can't believe the number of post you have made and just solid help for everyone...regardless of canadian or not, you can handle any question just as well as i can....lob...back in your court.

Welcome from Ontario
Us Canadians have to start plants extra early. C. chinenses(habanero/naga family) should be started like Jan or Feb.
Overwintering is always a good idea but aphids will likely drive you insane. Try growing in black plastic containers that heat up much quicker than the ground, and try not to water with cold water.

Where in Canada are you located? 100 mile house BC?

Hey Guys thanks for the responses, my first Jalapeno and Serrano sprouted, the ones i planted before i found this website. It took just over two weeks in soil in a southfacing window, is it possible to keep them growing peppers indoors with a heat lamp and grow lights over the winter or do they need to relax for a bit haha. 100 mile house bc is located in the Cariboo region of bc, vlose to Kamloops. we have nice hot summers here relatively long. Ive had seeds in cups for 2 days now trying the cup method of laying seeds on top of wet paper towel so far none have sprouted.

Grower from Quebec here, my second year, growing some Serranos, Bishop Crowns, Aji Bibi (whatever that is...) Black Pearl, Yellow Scotch and Orange Habs.

Hi from Winnipeg!

I grow my peppers indoor for a year or so and then put them outdoors for the second summer. I don't have access to a proper outdoor garden, so it's pots for me. So far this has worked well, but if you're just looking for a single-year then you definitely want to start your peppers nice and early.

First off Hello from TO, here's where I feel like a hambone, can someone please flip me the website. I may have viewed but would like it again as I may not have views...

Happy Easter all !!!

:welcome: from Edmonton

As said above, start your seeds early, and overwinter any plants you'd like to keep going the next season. Don't' be discouraged if you don't get any pods on your plants the first year, it happens up here sometimes.

You might want to try germinating seeds in a nice warm place, like the top of your fridge or on top of the furnace or water heater. Pepper seeds like a nice warm environment to germinate in. A heating pad can also help if you find yourself getting frustrated.

I would just like to add that you should use a "heating pad" made to heat seeds/germination process not feet. Turns out a few years ago I was going to cheap out and go with a regular heating pad from a drug store etc but don't do that. Costs more, unsafe, no control, and again unsafe. Go with a water bed (bottom) heater but they are $100 unless u have one. For $30 or so you'll be grooving.

Back