• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Canadian weather SUCKS!

We've been dealing with a terrible season in Barrie, Ontario.. Daytime highs are averagin 20 lately, dropping to 15 at night... even 13! 13 is about 55 for the non-english lol..
I know anything under 55 can stunt growth but i've been bringing my plants inside when it gets too cold and they've all still slowed down quite a bit... Only 6 hours of daylight every day too.. Damn balcony
What are some general things that would stunt a plants growth? Leaves are beautifully green, flowers are poppin up just slowing right down in general..

Maybe this will make for a longer outdoor growing season? Thankfully have an indoor set-up with a 400W HPS for the really cold days

+1 Nightshade. Wow!!! You are already that cold over there?

So much for summer huh? I'd loose my mind if temps were that cold where I live!
Yes, your weather does suck. Lol sry ny friend

Today here is 38C with 75% humidity... I would like to move there and move my peppers to a small greenhouse :D
Being a balcony grower myself, i suggest you to buy a portable greenhouse, it really extend your season and helps against the cold!

Cya

Datil

Non English :P Germany, Belgium, France, .... are non English and we do Celcius too :P
Now that i think of it ... Almost everyone but USA uses Celsius  :whistle:
In Belgium it is 32C° it's so hot, but my plants seem to like it :)

@ Datil 38C° ..... wow ... i would not move all day with those temperatures !

The high today was 21... Low 16, the highest I see for the next week is 23!.... Grrr....

Datil said:
Today here is 38C with 75% humidity... I would like to move there and move my peppers to a small greenhouse :D
Being a balcony grower myself, i suggest you to buy a portable greenhouse, it really extend your season and helps against the cold!

Cya

Datil

Great idea, I've been looking around at them, trying to find one that doesn't fill my whole balcony has proved difficult. Probably will make my own if things don't get better..
With any luck August will prove more grow-worthy

CBaulin said:
The high today was 21... Low 16, the highest I see for the next week is 23!.... Grrr....

Great idea, I've been looking around at them, trying to find one that doesn't fill my whole balcony has proved difficult. Probably will make my own if things don't get better..
With any luck August will prove more grow-worthy
Hahaha standard English summer day temps those. Last year we had an exceptionally wet and dull summer over here and for the most part temperatures struggled to climb out of the teens. In grow houses try plants did ok.

I normally have them in outside grow houses even in good summers, from May - September the main reason is to protect from the rain. I find my plants do best when temps are around 23C - 26C.. This is easily done if in a sheltered sunny spot even if shade temps are only around 20C.

Regarding night temps anything over 8C-9C and the plants should be fine... so long as they get day time warmth and sun.

Buy a cheep metal framed grow house and they'll be fine.

I thought the bad weather is why everyone lives south of Canada! :P   Yeah, I just took my dog for a walk wearing long pants and a sweatshirt.  Feels like October....

Ya its been crappy this year for weather, the other week its almost 50C and now 12 to 15C at night.
Hopefully it picks up again.

Back