• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2019 Hirsute Pursuit – Rocotos, Wilds & Moar

So, here's the new glog for the coming season.  With the indoor grow culled pretty hard now I can focus more on getting ready for what's ahead.  Hoping for a great year, but I’m already a bit behind - the germinators are packed right now and I've still got a round of annuum seeds waiting for their turn.  I guess it wouldn’t feel much like pepper growing though if everything were going perfect.

My focus was going to be rocotos with a side of bonnets and some other stuff, but I found I kept planting more and more wilds. Eventually I just kinda went all-in with them and they took on co-main event status. 

I’ll start things off with some pics of some of the earlier pube’s.  There’s not too many at this point. Unfortunately, the vast majority just went into germination.

First off, Costa Rica Red.  This is the CRR with flattened triangular pods.  I also have an OW CRR that’s a 3-4 lobed “boxy” variety.  I didn't get true seeds off this one last summer, so I have a few of these growing and crossing my fingers they grow true.
20190305%20CRR%20(P)-R.jpg

Rocoto DeSeda.  These guys were from a bush I’d OW’d a few years in a row, but it didn’t make it through this winter
20190305%20DeSeda-R.jpg

Rocoto San Camillo
20190305%20SanCamillo-R.jpg

Gelbe Reisen Variant.  These are from true seeds off a plant I’ve been growing for a few years that was supposed to be Gelbe Riesen, but the pods are more orange vs yellow, rounder/less boxy, and just a touch smaller. I don’t know if it’s a natural variation or it might have crossed with a Costa Rica Orange, but it's a great plant. I have a few of these started and am curious what comes of them.
20190305%20GRV-R.jpg

Giant Yellow Rocoto.  Suppose I should pinch that bud off.
20190305%20GYellow-R.jpg

Recently hatched Gelbe Riesen sprouts (the parent plant has been a beast for me for a while now) and CAP 217 Hyper-Pube.
20190305%20Hyper&Gelbe-R.jpg

That’s it for the rocotos for now.  Will try to post up some pics of the early wilds in a little bit. 

CD

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Are the straws for holding on the bags?

Also, boy those things are tiny! What's the eating like?

This is my first time growing Tovarii, so I don't know the taste.  They're hobby peppers though and most probably wouldn't consider them suitable/practical for eating.  I'll be trying one soon though, it appears.   And yeah, they are pretty small. 

In this case, the straw pieces just mark the location of the pods.  They are fewer than a dozen and when green they look very similar to the buds, so with many hundreds of buds and flowers on the plants and the pods being so small I marked their locations whenever I saw any.  Now all the buds and flowers are gone, but it still helps me quickly check status. Typically, the straws mean I controlled pollination, usually marking "true" seed pods, but there's nothing those Tovarii will cross with nearby so they're all true pods.

Hey, CD!  You're a real 'wild man' - those look great.

I was looking up the Aji Largo Rocoto pubescens. The
pictures looked a lot like the Cabe Gendot pubescens
variety (seed from Trippa) I grew in 2017. The description
of the flavor and heat profile fit, as well. 

PaulG said:
Hey, CD!  You're a real 'wild man' - those look great.

I was looking up the Aji Largo Rocoto pubescens. The
pictures looked a lot like the Cabe Gendot pubescens
variety (seed from Trippa) I grew in 2017. The description
of the flavor and heat profile fit, as well. 

That's interesting.  Isn't Cabe Gendot the one grown on Java?  Perhaps someone took an Aji Largo back to Indonesia and that's the origin of the Cabe Gendot.   Any chance you have any pictures of yours and the pods? 

CaneDog said:
Looks like the Tov's are finally coming in.  Been a year since I planted these.

Great looking plants, but they wouldn't be my first choice if I had to survive off the production :)

attachicon.gif
With my luck those would get mixed in with cranberries! They are neat looking, just those so far?

kaitylynn said:
With my luck those would get mixed in with cranberries! They are neat looking, just those so far?

Ha, they probably could.  Yep. 2 plants.  Each is big and has had hundreds of blossoms, but looking at the nodes you can see what the droppage was like.  < a dozen pods set, but most of them are ripening now.  They're cool looking plants though, and I've been told they blow the doors off in the second year.

CaneDog said:

That's interesting.  Isn't Cabe Gendot the one grown on Java?  Perhaps someone took an Aji Largo back to Indonesia and that's the origin of the Cabe Gendot.   Any chance you have any pictures of yours and the pods? 

I do have pix, but the uploader keeps saying I
have exceeded my attachment allotment?

PaulG said:
Back in business!

Hey, CD - here are some Cabe Gendot pix from 2015:
Thick and juicy!

The pod shape on those is really intriguing.  It's quite similar to a more common pod shape that's a medium-narrow pod with a small collar and narrow shoulders, but despite some outward similarities it's definitely not that shape.  It does look much more like an A Largo, only a slightly wider one.  I wonder if there is common heritage there.  Just a really cool look the CG's have to them.

I need to see if I have any more of that seed left.
Yeah you do!    :)

Good to see you re-charged for another year.  I prefer the high-resolution of external hosting for some pictures, but the efficiency of uploading pictures via Extreme hosting on a day-to-day basis is hard to beat.

Devv said:
Got caught up. Good stuff there CD!

Pubes hit the pots tomorrow. Hoping for a score this season as I'll be home to watch them. gonna try the cold water spray technique to see how it works..

Nice!  Hope you're enjoying all the extra time you have now.

Looking forward to watching those rocotos grow big and heavy!

Bookers said:
I didn't really count but I believe I'm going on day 14 and I have 5 poppers. The choc moruga/reaper I grew last year, popped all at the same time 3 shoots :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's great!  Was happy to see you start your glog to track the grow.  I'd been wondering what variety it was that germinated in a clump and now I know.

PS.  I'd misunderstood and thought you meant specifically that you had some Tovarii growing, which take their DST getting around to germinating.

Back