• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

Whoa! I didn't know you had company. (Aphids) Great clean up Cane...

I too saw a few familiar pests! I saw a few fungus gnats...I realized the water draining from my plants (clear trays under OW pots) was turning green. Didn't pay attention since I had the new babies to attend to. Uhhg. Cleaned up did a search couldn't find any fliers but thought I killed a crawler in the seedlings...
Fingers crossed I'll go hunting again before bed. Cheers to the good people in THP.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Whoa! I didn't know you had company. (Aphids) Great clean up Cane...

I too saw a few familiar pests! I saw a few fungus gnats...I realized the water draining from my plants (clear trays under OW pots) was turning green. Didn't pay attention since I had the new babies to attend to. Uhhg. Cleaned up did a search couldn't find any fliers but thought I killed a crawler in the seedlings...
Fingers crossed I'll go hunting again before bed. Cheers to the good people in THP.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Things are doing much better since the the change from the bark to soil. Only one sprout didn't make it - unfortunately it was the apparent Reaper x Yaki Blue cross.  It was mixed in among 30 other plants and somehow it dried out overnight and didn't survive. This despite that the others were doing just fine and in no need of water. 

Here's a few of the ones that were in the worst shape or most stunted.  Not perfect yet, but getting better, fast, which is great to see.  I'm hoping good color comes in with the next sets of leaves.

Rocoto Amarillo de Arequipa and Eximium Not Bufforum. 
These spent the longest time in the bark and I'm super happy that they're seemingly getting back to normal.  CTB generously shared what few seeds he had with me for these, so I didn't really have back-up and would have felt crappy if they failed.

Rocoto
20200213 AmDeArequipa.jpg

Eximium
20200213 Skinny.jpg

Wiri Wiri
I think the wiri wiri were the most affected, sprouting absolutely tiny, but the change has helped.
20200213 WiriWiri.jpg

And the Galapogoense has come out of its coma and is starting to grow leaves again.
20200213 Galap100.jpg

Yeah, Bookers, the bastages came in with the OW's that were still producing so couldn't be cut back and treated properly - I was just spraying them with water periodically to knock them back. They were super-mobile too, with lots of the winged ones moving around. I'm sure that's how they got into the starts. 

Fortunately, they hit early with the first handful of sprouts so I could isolate the later sprouts while treating relatively few.  If they'd gotten any deeper into the seedlings I can't imagine I'd have been able to clean them out.  There's still some activity with the OW's, but those will get more attention now that the sprouts are settled in again.  Thankfully I've seen very little fungus gnat activity so far.

CaneDog said:
2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
attachicon.gif
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
attachicon.gif
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
attachicon.gif
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
attachicon.gif
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
attachicon.gif
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
attachicon.gif
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

attachicon.gif
20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
attachicon.gif
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

Early start.  I wish I could start that early.  100 days to germ???  WOW.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Early start.  I wish I could start that early.  100 days to germ???  WOW.

I probably shouldn't ever start that early, given the maintenance challenges of too many plants at different stages.  Just nice to have something new growing.  Yeah, that 100 days was a heck of an outlier.  I'd just sort of set it aside and forgot about it except to spray it every once in a while.  Got lucky.

HillBilly Jeff said:
:party:  Yes! Go 'Hawks!

And here I thought I liked you lol

That's cool.  You can always like to hate me.  It's all good.  :)

Big maintenance morning today.  Also, the first time re-watering the grow bags since the original watering.  I wish I'd noted the date of the first watering after transplant, but I finished the first tub of transplants into bags on Feb 3rd and bottom-watered shortly thereafter.  For the past 4 or 5 days they've seemed on the dry side, but appear to have been getting adequate hydration.  Today I bottom-watered the tubs with a weak fish/kelp solution and I'm expecting a good growth surge, as they've had 12 days since transplant for the roots to have established.

I also culled the doubles and triples from the rock wool cubes and stuck the lucky ones into 120ml Kratky vials to redevelop their roots.  Everything's in a good place for the time-being and with the grow room set up with lighting and fans on proper timers, I'm expecting some pretty good progress over the next week or so.

Uncle_Eccoli said:

Yeah, but the previews are taking forever!

PaulG said:
Busy boy, CD!

Now that you are on cruise control, time to
start thinking about the annuums?  :lol:  

:shocked: Whaaa...

Haha, you got that right, Paul.  Feels like those annuums are going to land like a ton a bricks come March!   And between now and then I have two 4 x 2 tents of OW's to figure out.

My plan is to re-pot all the OW's and migrate the pube's out to the deck. They can handle the cold and this will free up an indoor tent for the current starts once the annuums come into play.  Plus, I still have some aphids to deal with on the OW's - though they've been knocked way back and seem reasonably manageable ATM.  Have I mentioned it would be nice to have a greenhouse?

Not sure I'll be able to set my cruise control this year before June  :rolleyes:

Hay 'Dog, don't mean to siderail your luxuriously flowing glog, but I could use a confirmation.

Remember that one Large Brown Rocoto I planted from the seed you gifted me? This is how it looks this morning:
20200216_105414.jpg

Very little fuzz, and it's mighty purple. It is a Large Brown, yes? It came from black seed, the appropriate pouch, but I was surprised by the appearance, quite a bit like the PdeNXBmaJ I grew last season. If this is a standard Large Brown sprout, kewl...if not I'll have to grow it out anyway, won't I....

The above pic was taken under the LEDs, this one under halogens...
20200216_105240.jpg

Oh yeah: GO DRAGONS!!!

stettoman said:
Hay 'Dog, don't mean to siderail your luxuriously flowing glog, but I could use a confirmation.

Remember that one Large Brown Rocoto I planted from the seed you gifted me? This is how it looks this morning:
attachicon.gif
20200216_105414.jpg

Very little fuzz, and it's mighty purple. It is a Large Brown, yes? It came from black seed, the appropriate pouch, but I was surprised by the appearance, quite a bit like the PdeNXBmaJ I grew last season. If this is a standard Large Brown sprout, kewl...if not I'll have to grow it out anyway, won't I....

The above pic was taken under the LEDs, this one under halogens...
attachicon.gif
20200216_105240.jpg

Oh yeah: GO DRAGONS!!!

Hahaha.  Go Dragons!  At least they didn't lose the first two out of the gate!  I wonder how the XFL is going to do this time around.

Yeah, not even close on the XL Brown.  That totally looks like a PdN or PdN cross.  Not sure how this could have happened

:drunk:         ??  :)

but it's certainly odd.  Is that a root riot plug?  That makes it even more difficult for any mix-up to occur unless you were planting multiple plugs and mixed them up.  Still, it just seems like this has to be some kind of mix-up.  I'll say this though, if that did come from that black rocoto seed you planted, I want a front-row ticket to see what comes of it!

Man, you just aren't catching any breaks with the XL Brown, Stetto.  Reports are it's germinating well, though, so maybe another try when you reach your main planting time - ?

CaneDog said:

Hahaha.  Go Dragons!  At least they didn't lose the first two out of the gate!  I wonder how the XFL is going to do this time around.

Yeah, not even close on the XL Brown.  That totally looks like a PdN or PdN cross.  Not sure how this could have happened

:drunk:         ??  :)

but it's certainly odd.  Is that a root riot plug?  That makes it even more difficult for any mix-up to occur unless you were planting multiple plugs and mixed them up.  Still, it just seems like this has to be some kind of mix-up.  I'll say this though, if that did come from that black rocoto seed you planted, I want a front-row ticket to see what comes of it!

Man, you just aren't catching any breaks with the XL Brown, Stetto.  Reports are it's germinating well, though, so maybe another try when you reach your main planting time - ?

Oh yeah CD, there will be more planted. I just can't figure this one though: Brand new RR plug, ONE BLACK SEED planted, I was there, saw me do it...

Effink poser...

stettoman said:

Oh yeah CD, there will be more planted. I just can't figure this one though: Brand new RR plug, ONE BLACK SEED planted, I was there, saw me do it...

Effink poser...

Yeah I've so been there myself where there's just no way, but...  there it is.

Shouldn't be too much longer now before you're planting for the season.

Back