• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Canedog Offseason Season 2022/23

Well, shoot. I don't know that I should start a new glog with as poor as I was about updating my last one, but here it goes. My offseason season started late, with most of my plants being probably four to six weeks old now. I'll start by posting a few of the newer ones.

This guy is an Oxkutzcab/Oxkutzcabian Orange Habanero. I have three of these growing and a couple Caribbean Red Habanero that are smaller. The Oxkutzcab seem to be out-pacing the reds, but they've also been around a little longer. In this pic I particularly like the transition in the stem at the cotyledons.
20221109 Oxkutzcab.jpg

@HeatMiser sent me some of his wild texas tepin seeds - what, a couple years ago now? - and I've been trying to grow the variety to production ever since. The seeds were collected off a wild-growing bush in 2014 and still sprout just fine. I have three of the plants growing that I've overwintered, but it's been a very long-season variety for me here in the pnw and between that and the impact of an aphid infestation last winter I haven't yet gotten any of them to ripe pods. I started this new one with the idea of getting it well-established inside and hopefully it will be mature enough to produce by next season. I may just keep it inside until it does.
20221109 TX Tepin 2014.jpg

Aji Guyana. I've grow this variety for a couple seasons now after Wiri Wiri shared seeds with me. I always end up topping it, so I got that out of the way early this time. I'm hoping once will be enough, but if it gets unruly it may end up seeing the scissors again. Great production out of these and pretty early for a baccatum.
20221109 Guyana.jpg

This is a second generation (with me) ollantaytambo amarillo rocoto. I was hoping the parent's pods would be more pale that they were, but it produced great-looking yellow pods this summer, which I thought had great flavor. I'm curious whether this next generation's pods will be unchanged, plus it's likely getting crossed with one or two other rocotos I have growing now that are close to the same age.
20221109 OllyWhite.jpg

Uvalde Pequin, from @CraftyFox - thanks man! It looked a little rough when it first came up, but it's looking much stronger now.
20221109 Uvalde.jpg

I'm working with several mexican culinary varieties, growing given varieties from multiple sources and in different variations to find out what I like best. Pasilla Oaxaca, Pasilla Negro Bahia, and Guajillo are among them. These guys are the most recent sprouts. The others have been growing a while and are more established.

Guajillo
20221106 Guajillo.jpg

Pasilla Oaxaca
20221109 PasillaOaxaca.jpg

Pasilla Negro Bahia
20221109 PasillaBahia.jpg

I'll close with this guy. I thought I'd run out of the orange arequipa rocoto seeds I'd acquired a couple years back, but I found one scraggly seed in the corner of a seed baggie and that scraggly seed has turned into this scraggly young plant. When it germinated I thought the roots might not be strong enough for it to survive, but I've tried to water it just right and it keeps getting stronger day-by-day. If it keeps improving like it has it might make a good match for the ollantaytambo amarillo rocoto.
20221109 OrgArequipa.jpg

JUST when I was wondering what I was gonna watch this off-season, and BOOM! here it is! You've got some great prospects going on. Looking forward to it CD!

Good luck with your grow @CaneDog. It's almost going to be 3 years since we shared those seeds - glad they're still germinating fine. They're actually on my list for next year, but given we've both had problems getting them to fruit, I think I'll grow mine indoors until they do set fruit.

Last edited:
JUST when I was wondering what I was gonna watch this off-season, and BOOM! here it is! You've got some great prospects going on. Looking forward to it CD!
Hey, thanks DR! I hope I'm able to keep up with the posting. My last glog for the outdoor season was abysmal. It's a lot more convenient to take pictures indoors though, so hopefully I'll be able to see this through and post some interesting updates on what's happening.
Good luck with your grow @CaneDog. It's almost going to be 3 years since we shared those seeds - glad they're still germinating fine. They're actually on my list for next year, but given we've both had problems getting them to fruit, I think I'll grow mine indoors until they do set fruit.
Wow, three years. Seems like I should have been able to make it happen with that much time. Most tepin are slow for me and these guys have had some challenges. Last indoor season I has aphigeddon and it messed up the time-table with everything. They got on track eventually and started flowering well right at the time I had to bring them into the garage a week or so ago. This winter nothing's coming back into the main house so hopefully I'll stay aphid-free and this guy will chug right along without interruption.

I like your plan to keep them indoors until they fruit. Not only will you be able to get a good collection of true seeds from the small pods without big hassles, but you can always extend the season as necessary, without the risks of bringing them back in from outside.

Great stuff!
Is it indoor with artificial lights? I’ve also made the decision to grow Guajillo next season so I’m looking forward to see how you like it.
Yep. I have two tents I started them out in with T5HO fixtures, though I plan to transfer the plants and lights to a couple tables I'll set up in an available walk-in closet this weekend. I get much better temperatures with the two light fixtures in the confined closet area than with separate tents and there's still enough room for me to work with them. As the plants get big, I'll move them one-by-one back into the tents with HLG100 LED's where they'll have more space and headroom.

I have 4 varieties of mirasol/guajillo I'm working with. So far these, which I've grown a couple times now, remain my favorites. I have high hopes for the sprout I posted above, which came from a package of very good dried/smoked pods. It took literally about 400 seeds and two attempts to get this single sprout, so I'm vested in it's success.

Hey buddy! I'd like to see how
you set up your indoor grow.
popcorn2.gif
Hey Paul. Right now they're in 4'x2' tents in a spare bedroom. I hang a 48" T5HO above a 4'x2' folding table in each tent so they're easier to work with while they're young. I'll see about getting a picture. I'm planning to move them this weekend, into an available walk-in closet. Here's a pic of that setup from several years back. The big difference is with two light fixtures on timers in the more confined closet area I get better sustained temperatures and the plants grow faster, especially chinense it seems. The drawback is I seem to get a little more edema/ intumescence with the decreased air exchange.

2018 Indoor Grow Setup
Indoor 2018.jpg

Some interesting varieties you are growing.
That Oxkutzcab/Oxkutzcabian Orange Habanero is a real tongue twister 😄
No kidding, Marc! I'm not sure I've ever had to say the name out loud before. It's enough of a challenge for me just to type it. :)

So, last night I migrated everything from the two tents to the new grow area. I can tell already that the temp's are much better. Here's a look at the new setup, much like the photo I posted above from 2018, except now with synthetic tables. The old wood-style ones were very susceptible to water damage.

Room View
20221111 Grow1K.jpg

Bigger Table
20221111 BigTable1K.jpg

Smaller Table
20221111 SmallTable1K.jpg

You find it better to have the fans not blow on the plants directly?
I avoid having fans blow directly on the plants for any extended length of time. The two little fans on the lights are fixed directionally and lightly circulate air around the room. They're pointed down and back toward the wall, so they probably provide some minor air movement around the plants. In picture two of the three above you can see an oscillating fan just peaking out from the lower right corner. Most days I'll run it oscillating across the plants for maybe 30-60 minutes; usually from when I leave the room in the morning to when I remember to shut it off again later. I figure that's good for strengthening the plants, reducing fungus gnats, etc.

I avoid having fans blow directly on the plants for any extended length of time. The two little fans on the lights are fixed directionally and lightly circulate air around the room. They're pointed down and back toward the wall, so they probably provide some minor air movement around the plants. In picture two of the three above you can see an oscillating fan just peaking out from the lower right corner. Most days I'll run it oscillating across the plants for maybe 30-60 minutes; usually from when I leave the room in the morning to when I remember to shut it off again later. I figure that's good for strengthening the plants, reducing fungus gnats, etc.
I'll have to try that. I usually run them 24/7, with moderate force.. Might be why I struggle with low humidity so much.

Back