• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Canned Chili Tuna

QuadShotz

Banned
Unsure if right forum, so feel free to move if needed.

So, I was a a local food outlet store, and came across this little gem. Hmm, 59 cents a can, from Thailand and has chiles..sounds fun.

chili-tuna-front.jpg

Front of can

chili-tuna-back.jpg

Back of can

Imagine my surprise when I open one and find not just some red goop but actual chilies...like 3 of them per can! Oh, Momma. :D

This pic is after draining & taking some out so ya can see it better.

chili-tuna.jpg

The chili tuna

I'm unsure other than "thai chili" what kind, but they sure have a kick. Packed in oil no less..and we all know how capsaicin likes oil.

I use the drained tuna/chili juice for ramen or such, yummy!

Funny thing is that even at the unreal price of 59 cents a tin, I went back a week later to snag a bunch of them and few had sold. I guess people here are scared of chilis. ;-)

-Q

Thai chili, probably birdseye. Looks good! You could add your own to tuna, but this way, it has time to marinate!

PS. I had tuna salad for dinner with datil infused pickles on a sprout roll.

QuadShotz said:
Unsure if right forum, so feel free to move if needed.

So, I was a a local food outlet store, and came across this little gem. Hmm, 59 cents a can, from Thailand and has chiles..sounds fun.

Imagine my surprise when I open one and find not just some red goop but actual chilies...like 3 of them per can! Oh, Momma. :D

This pic is after draining & taking some out so ya can see it better.

I'm unsure other than "thai chili" what kind, but they sure have a kick. Packed in oil no less..and we all know how capsaicin likes oil.

I use the drained tuna/chili juice for ramen or such, yummy!

Funny thing is that even at the unreal price of 59 cents a tin, I went back a week later to snag a bunch of them and few had sold. I guess people here are scared of chilis. ;-)-Q

Now that looks like awesome Tuna!!! I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for that...

thehotpepper.com said:
Thai chili, probably birdseye. Looks good! You could add your own to tuna, but this way, it has time to marinate!

That sounds like great mouth watering tuna salad. I am now craving tuna salad...And it only 3:30 AM here...LOL I could never control my cravings.

thehotpepper.com said:

Speaking of tuna salad and marinating...

This stuff tastes good with that tuna.

hot-pickles.jpg

Crappy pic, but tried to get the light in w/o causing reflection

It's my homemade "hot variety pack" AKA refrigerator pickles:

cukes, birdseyes, serranos, onions, garlic, mustard seed, a few peppercorns, the usual brine stuff, and a few secret spices. :D

I made the mistake of taking a slurp of the juice (weird, ya, but i like pickle juice), and about took my head off...LOL

-Q

When I make tuna salad I definitely add in some chopped jalapenos. It tastes great!

If you haven't done it, take real tuna (like left overs after you grill some) and make tuna salad out of that. HOLY CRAP! World of difference.

What I found weird about the juice, is that it seemed way hotter than the chillis in it. I have no problem munching on those peppers raw, but whatever I did to the 'lil buggers while brining/pickling them....yikes. :mouthonfire:

I guess it's the vinegar, eh?

GrumpyBear said:
i like drinking the juice too :)
ever had a dirty martini? it's just a martini with olive juice mixed in. my fave :)

Yup, love 'em. Only way I roll, gimme the dirty!

-Q

Hey QuadShotz, I have tried to my wits end to find that tuna, I looks great. I even emailed the company, which they haven't responded :( Could you pm the stores name and number where you found them? I really want to try it...

Thanks

You know, I love canned sardines...Underwood...and this thread got me thinking...I would love to can some sardines in hot pepper sauce...Underwood makes a "tabasco" sauce sardine but it is not even spicy to me...

To be honest with you chile made with fish makes me kinda sickly...

I grilled some salmon last year with a hab, garlic and olive oil baste that was great. But, I agree, I don't like real fishy fish with Chiles either. But, I also don't really like real fishy tasting fish.

Pepperfreak said:
I grilled some salmon last year with a hab, garlic and olive oil baste that was great. But, I agree, I don't like real fishy fish with Chiles either. But, I also don't really like real fishy tasting fish.

I tried dusting some pepper powder into the breading on some catfish once, but, you're right, it's just not right on fishy fish. I do like it on fish like tuna or salmon or even shrimp, though.

Pam said:
I tried dusting some pepper powder into the breading on some catfish once, but, you're right, it's just not right on fishy fish. I do like it on fish like tuna or salmon or even shrimp, though.

Oohh...Shrimp, I love shrimp and can eat it by the pound. I like to cook shrimp in a spicy boil almost like crawfish. I'm drooling just thinking about it. I think tomorrow I'm going to have to go buy some shrimp...

I like making shrimp kabobs on the grill, or using a grill pan to stir fry them with onions, hot peppers, mushrooms and squash. I marinate them in some olive oil with Italian herbs.

Another thing to consider "canning" is spicy olives. They discontinued the ones I was buying, I bet because they were too spicy. Absolutely delicious!

There is a specialty store around here that sells giant olives stuffed either with garlic, Jalapenos or Habanaros. They are ALL so good that I usually get all three whenever I go there.

QuadShotz seems you were lucky to have found this tuna. I just got word from the company that they have discontinued this product line :( It seems there wasn't a big enough market for tuna fish with chilies in it. I guess I'll stick with making my own...

Back