Canned potatoes

Why did I wait 50+ years to do this? Last fall, because I had some extra pounds of spuds, I decided to can some for use this winter/spring.

Sliced them enough to fit into quart jars (after washing them but left the skin on) and pressure canned them. They have been great to add to soups and such but last night I wanted to see how they would work deep fried after being coated.

The results were more than positive! I let them drain for a couple of hours, threw them in a baggie with flour/corn meal (you can make your own coating) and cooked them in a deep fryer for about 15 minutes.

We will be searching for quart jars and buying lids this summer. The supermarkets will lose some bucks from the sale of Tater Tots - mine taste better!

Mike

Oh yeah, canned potatoes are great..that is homecanned ones! I canned a lot when my children were young and we had a big garden, sure a time saver when putting a meal on the table. The bonus is the just dug taste, store bought can't compete.

pepperfever said:
Oh yeah, canned potatoes are great..that is homecanned ones! I canned a lot when my children were young and we had a big garden, sure a time saver when putting a meal on the table. The bonus is the just dug taste, store bought can't compete.

Store bought stuff almost never can compete.
When I was a kid my dad grew taters and asparagus. The only things for the best bland food ever he didn't grow was the cows and pigs for the melted butter and the ham...

Back