• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cannot figure out what is causing these plants to look this bad

Alright so I have a few plants that I started late that are still under fluorescent lighting, and they all are looking terrible since I transplanted them into bigger cells. Many got yellowing, burned looking leaf tips, and many leaves fell off each plant. The only plants doing alright are Japones, Trinidad Scorpion, and Paper Lantern.

They were started in MG seed starter mix and I mixed my own soil mix of 2 parts perlite, 2 parts vermiculite, 3 parts top soil, 2 parts cow manure, and 3 parts peat moss. I did not give any fertilizer to the plants until after they started yellowing, thinking it might have been a lack of nutrients. I gave them 1/4 strength solution of 8-16-8 about a week ago. That definitely did not help. Is it possible that the soil mix I made had too much nutes in it to begin with?

A couple days ago I gave them a foliar spray of Epsom Salt solution for Magnesium and Calcium Chloride solution for Calcium. This seems to have helped a bit perhaps, but it might just be that half of the leaves fell off :/

What do you guys think?

P1010149.jpg

P1010150.jpg

P1010152.jpg

They don't look bad at all, but they certainly don't need any more nutes. Seems the most common mistake everyone makes (I'm guilty as well) is going overboard on nutes. Peppers need very, very little. Especially when they are young. I wouldn't give them anything else until they are well established outside.

Hmm, then I think the soil must have had too much nutrients for the young seedlings to begin with or something, because like the picture on the bottom with the burned leaf many were like that until they all fell off. The plants do look better now, but that is the main reason why.

How would Magnesium or Calcium deficiencies show in the leaves?

Back