• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Cannot find this pepper anywhere on the internet

Can anyone ID this hot pepper. We got it from a friend who has 3 of them in 5 gal pots. This plant is 9 feet tall. the peppers start green, then to dark (but not all dark?), then to orange, no red.   They are about cayenne hot, no specific taste, no sweet, no fruity,maybe a very slight smoke,smells like a hot pepper. flowers are white 5 and 6 petals with the center part that sticks out being black. They do not seem to winter kill and he does not know where it came from, just was given to him.
Thanks for any help,

Steven

Need pics of the flower to be sure.  The center should be dark purpleish blue, not black.  Looks a lot like

Cumari ou passarinho   C. chinense

There are pequins that big but I don't think this is one.

I will try to get a picture of a flower, but this guy only stops by where my wife works every thursday and we don't have any contact info except we know where he used to work. It may take a week or so to get the picture. He gave a dried pod to my wife a few months ago and I decided to grow a seed but had little interest as I have lots of my own plants this first (going crazy) year of growing peppers.  The plant is now 6" high.   He talks about this pepper every week and just gave my wife these fresh pods which made me more interested in this little pepper. The label that sticks out the pot just says "Bob".

I looked up Cumari ou passarinho and it sure seems way closer than anything I found. 

Thanks for the help thus far.

Steven

Well, We found a way to contact Bob and had a good visit this afternoon. I took pictures of the flowers which was  hard as I don't have a good macro. I tried to get shots in different light. The first picture is not real good and was on the plant in the sun and in the wind. I popped a whole chile in my mouth and tried to imitate Nigel's fine palate. If this is a Chinense, I could not taste any fruity anything, but I don't really know what I'm doing. The only thing I knew for sure was that my mouth was burning, but as far as I could tell, the hot was just like all my annums.  The plant is about 8 ft tall. There are a mix of pods with both pointed and dimpled ends?  This is probably just some crossed mixed up something or another, but it is interesting that it is orange.

Steven

I'm inclined to believe Smoke (he knows a few things about rare peppers) I would be interested in a few seeds if you can acquire them? I have lots of things to trade.   :P

smokemaster said:
Habanero De Arbol

Smokemaster are you sure about this, the plant looks the same and I found a 2012 picture you posted on Gardenweb of the flower, and it is the same, but the peppers on this one are not quite as pointed as yours, and some even dip in at the end.

Steven.
hogleg said:

I'm inclined to believe Smoke (he knows a few things about rare peppers) I would be interested in a few seeds if you can acquire them? I have lots of things to trade.   :P

Sure, I would be interested in any pure seed wilds you have, I have tepin, and have Aji Charapita and Cumari do Para on the way from Canada (I hope).
Send a short list of youir wilds and I will pick one.

Thanks,
Steven
I wonder why no one has said anything about the old quarter,    only eyes for peppers I guess.

I am only posting what I think it is.

The Pics look like what I posted.

Sure it means nothing these days.

It ,I think is a stable Hybrid.

Or I wouldn't have sent Beth pure seeds for her to sell.
I grew it for several years(10+).
Passed out a LOT of seeds.

It is a hybrid that I think is stable,EXCEPT that it RARELY puts out red pods.
at  times.

Yes, I'm pretty sure about my post.

I got the a red version from Allan Bartosh (not sure of spelling his name-been a few year).
He stopped by a few years to say hello.

I latter had a couple plants that I grew in isolation go red.
Same tree type plant.
Though not as big plants.
I've never had a plant grow like the original one so far.
Mine was from the source of the seeds,S. America.
It grew as wide as tall.
Mother plant was 15 ft. tall x as wide or wider.
I easily picked a 5Gal. bucket of pods from it for 5+ yrs.
Mites killed it after it was easily several  yrs. old.
I have one growing now in a 20 Gal. pot.
Only 4 ft. tall.

Nerve damage makes typing hard for me these days.
I've posted the story several times over the years.
Google it...

The original Nursery/grower is long gone that grew them originally.
Out of Biz for 10 or more years easily.

The only ORIGINAL source for sales was Peppermania.
Seeds I sent Beth.

I see a lot of Vendors selling it now.
None seem to grow the same sized plants.

I don't have pics right now.
Not going to mess with my pics on photobucket either.
Camera card reader is history.
Tired of catching crap from idiots using my pics to sell seeds etc.
Also can't see my pics as being any sites property.
I won't be posting pics on any site anytime soon.

smokemaster said:
I am only posting what I think it is.

The Pics look like what I posted.

Sure it means nothing these days.

It ,I think is a stable Hybrid.

Or I wouldn't have sent Beth pure seeds for her to sell.
I grew it for several years(10+).
Passed out a LOT of seeds.

It is a hybrid that I think is stable,EXCEPT that it RARELY puts out red pods.
at  times.

Yes, I'm pretty sure about my post.

I got the a red version from Allan Bartosh (not sure of spelling his name-been a few year).
He stopped by a few years to say hello.

I latter had a couple plants that I grew in isolation go red.
Same tree type plant.
Though not as big plants.
I've never had a plant grow like the original one so far.
Mine was from the source of the seeds,S. America.
It grew as wide as tall.
Mother plant was 15 ft. tall x as wide or wider.
I easily picked a 5Gal. bucket of pods from it for 5+ yrs.
Mites killed it after it was easily several  yrs. old.
I have one growing now in a 20 Gal. pot.
Only 4 ft. tall.

Nerve damage makes typing hard for me these days.
I've posted the story several times over the years.
Google it...

The original Nursery/grower is long gone that grew them originally.
Out of Biz for 10 or more years easily.

The only ORIGINAL source for sales was Peppermania.
Seeds I sent Beth.

I see a lot of Vendors selling it now.
None seem to grow the same sized plants.

I don't have pics right now.
Not going to mess with my pics on photobucket either.
Camera card reader is history.
Tired of catching crap from idiots using my pics to sell seeds etc.
Also can't see my pics as being any sites property.
I won't be posting pics on any site anytime soon.

Smokemaster, the reason I was wondering if these were Habanero De Arbol is that the peppers on mine are so varied in size and shape as compaired to the pics I have seen at other sites. They are all over the map on mine. By the way Bob gave me one of his plants. It is the one in the pic above in the white 5 gal closest to the camera.
The pepper in the black one gal is the one I gave him. That one will be another one to identify when the pods get ripe as I got it from a tenant in Corona and they don't know what it is.

Were yours peppers as varied as these?

I think I will grow the smallest roundest ones and then keep on doing that to see if I can get a nice small round orange wild looking pepper.

Steven

Single pod characteristics don't really have much to do with overall plant fruit characteristics.  It's a crap shoot even moreso if you're not isolating flowers.

I still think it's a frutescens, but what do I know? :rofl:

Helvete said:
Single pod characteristics don't really have much to do with overall plant fruit characteristics.  It's a crap shoot even moreso if you're not isolating flowers.

I still think it's a frutescens, but what do I know? :rofl:

Helvete, I looked around  to see if I could find any pepper of the Frutescens that looked like these and found that they look quite a bit like the short yellow tobasco.   links below

http://www.semillas.de/cgi-bin/shop_en/shop.cgi?shop=&keywords=Capsicum%20frutescens&cart_id=  third from the bottom, they look like mine.  EDIT, ha, upon closer looking they say they are annums, I read the thing too fast I guess.

http://c2cpeppers.proboards.com/thread/1371   they are not real sure what it is but some think it is Frutescens

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=tabasco&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1   The chiliman database calls the yellow tabasco a Frutescens?   Its the last one at the bottom.

A very short but interesting thread on THP  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44686-has-anyone-reviewed-the-short-yellow-tabasco/
The final post states        " I believe both an annuum and a frutescens exist named "Short Yellow Tabasco" ".

This is getting too confusing for me.

By the way, If anyone is interested in seeds from whatever this is, send me your address and I will send you off some. Choose from the picture of 13 peppers above which size/shape pepper you want your seeds from.  Upper left being #1 and the largest #13.   Send you off 5 seeds.  The stamp and envelope are my treat.

Steven

Back