Can't decide on a paprika pepper

Hello, new here, and also new to growing peppers. I'm mainly just doing some Bolivian Rainbow (that I now think are Brazilian Rainbow) apartment growing - no big time stuff like some of you crazy guys. I was already looking forward to the next season, though, and wanted some input. I love using paprika with my food, and was looking for some input on a nice sweet pepper (and my personal preference, with just a bit of heat). Here's a list I was looking at, if anyone has any experience with the pepper, and if you think it would make a good paprika I would love to know:

Numex Garnet
Numex Sweet
---
These two are billed as a traditional deep red paprika, but I'm inclined towards a little more heat / flavor.

Numex Conquistador
---
I've heard sort of mixed opinions on the flavor of this, but I hear it does have just a bit of heat.

Carmen
---
This is one I'm really leaning toward right now for sheer versatility -- a possible candidate for good paprika and good peppers for other cooking in general.

Alma
---
I've heard this makes fantastic paprika, but I haven't heard if it's useful for anything else, which makes me lean on the Carmen.

Pepperoncini
---
Yeah, I might be a bit weird for considering this, has anyone turned this into a powder?

Let me know if you have any other suggestions / comments on what I've got so far.

Pepperoncini, I made some Smoked Pepperoncini X Tomato paprika Mix only thing I can really say is I wish I had a lot more My wife and I went threw it so fast we used it on just about everything we cooked,  I think it was about 1/2 lb. I made and it didn't last us more then two months.  Indigo Rose Tomato's are the tomato I used great size to dry and smoke,  I know I will be making more soon as I can!! 

The Hungarians pickle the Almapaprika when it reaches full size, but before it ripens. For sweet paprika you'd let it ripen to an orange-red, dry and grind it. It's nice in salads too.
SANY0298_zps6aa52f36.jpg

SANY0049_zpsce8e0256.jpg

:welcome:

I haven't tried many of the varieties you've listed, but I really like Alma.  They are sweet, juicy and very tasty fresh and would be great stuffed or sliced on a salad or whatever.  My wife even likes em!  :dance: Hoping enough pods survive fresh consumption to be made into paprika.

I was going to grow some sheepnose paprika pimento this year (to make paprika with), but I ran out of room before it was time to start any anuum var peppers.  I have yet to grow any, and this thread is giving me ideas for next year.

edit in blue

Sheepnose are awesome for roasting and stuffing! Mmmmm. That being said, here are some I would recommend for paprika:
Allepo
Alma
Gochu
Fehron
Antohi
Garnet
Realistically, any thin skinned red annums, will make some type of paprika, there are six classes of paprika in Hungary, ranging from sweet to fairly hot, pick a rich and sweet pepper you like then add a bit of safi(annuum) cayenne, Thai or other red powder just to kick it up a notch, the key is to find something you like by experimenting!
PS. Almost all paprika sold in the world today is a mix of several different kinds of peppers, good luck and have fun!

I have a Hungarian neighbor who always grows Almas and Hungarian wax for paprikas, I'm doing more of the "curry" route for my paprika with some Kashmiri plants a friend of mine gave me.  I'm also growing Czechoslovakian black that I'm going to try paprika with if I can be patient enough not to eat them before they're ripe :)

I grew Hungarian black the last couple of years, delicious when they are ripe, and actually they do make excellent powder! Never really thought, about it as paprika! :D

Never grown them myself, but I really like a paprika made from Chimayo peppers. Heat is a little less than cayenne, and there is a nice sweet smokiness in there as well.

I also highly recommend Aleppo if you can find a seed source. The flavor is very distinctive. Not an "all purpose" pepper, but it combines very well with some dishes.

+1 on the Gochu and Chimayo' peppersI grow both nearly every year and put away bags of dried pods so I don't run out.

Definitely on, the chimayo is yummy as well, I've never had the "let's shower" paprika, I will have to check that one out, don't recognize the name even is it a rare pepper the luetshauer?

What pepper for making paprika does best in Hot weather?? Where I live it gets to 100-115F most of the summer, I have seen it 100F in April and as late as Nov.   

Mr. Hill said:
What pepper for making paprika does best in Hot weather?? Where I live it gets to 100-115F most of the summer, I have seen it 100F in April and as late as Nov.   

The Korean Gochus should do well for you...  summers can be blazing hot there down in the lowlands.

I can personally vouch for Garnet and Alma - both are excellent and on the sweeter side once fully ripe.  I have Allepo growing this year, and they're looking real nice.

Very interested in Chimayo and Gochus for next year's grow if anyone has extra seed stock.

Mr. Hill said:
All the peppers we've discussed here are annuums and in my experience annuums hold up real well to extreme heat! Course its never been hotter than 109 here and 105 is as hot as it usually ever gets, and we've got humidity to help them not aspirate as much, but at the very least the NM Chile pepper institute has the garnets, chimayos, Sandias, big Jim's etc that they grow in the southern NM desert, very similar to your climate.

Thank's for the info!!!  on a side note my Pepperoncini are starting to flower!!! :) Also I have a few Super Hots starting to branch like they will start to grow flowers soon!!!  

Mr. Hill said:
Thank's for the info!!!  on a side note my Pepperoncini are starting to flower!!! :) Also I have a few Super Hots starting to branch like they will start to grow flowers soon!!!
Then it truly is a good day for you sir, "good luck, we're all counting on you!"

Back