• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Capsicum annuum 'Fish Pepper' x C. annuum 'Tennessee Cheese

This cross is a double recessive! 

We are seeing the birth of the f1 here! If all goes well, we should see 1 or 2 variegated leaves at most in this seedling with a full return of variegation in the f2 with some peppers being sweet and some being hot!
hamm cheesefish.JPG

Wow are u seeing variegation on the F1? When working with variegated varieties even the F2 didnt use to show variegation on their first leaves or cotiledons, I've only seen that happening when crossed variegated x variegated where even some F1 are insanely variegated since birth Jeje
Your new hybrid sounds super fire pollen nut, I'll take a sit with ur permission to see how they develops

Fermenting Spanishtan said:
Wow are u seeing variegation on the F1? When working with variegated varieties even the F2 didnt use to show variegation on their first leaves or cotiledons, I've only seen that happening when crossed variegated x variegated where even some F1 are insanely variegated since birth Jeje
Your new hybrid sounds super fire pollen nut, I'll take a sit with ur permission to see how they develops
variation for foliar pigmentation may be achieved by introgression of genes described in Capsicum for green/white foliar variegation. When expressed in genetic backgrounds where foliar anthocyanin occurs, purple/green/white variegation occurs. Variegated mutants include four marbled (m-1 to m-4) mutants (Daskalov, 1977Lippert et al., 1965), plastid instability (pi) (Hagiwara and Oomura, 1947Lippert et al., 1965) and chlorina (chl) (Kormos and Kormos, 1955Lippert et al., 1965), and the allelic variegated mottled (vgm) and variegated virescent (vgv) loci (Lippert et al., 1965). https://journals.ashs.org/jashs/view/journals/jashs/133/3/article-p396.xml
I can assure you, variegation can and will show up in cotyledons of some variegated crosses crosses in the cotyledons themselves.  Variegation is a simple recessive trait in all known and studied genes for variegation within the Capsicum genus. Before ruling out the possibility for something or calling it even improbable, one needs to grow out a substantial number of seedlings, but for the purpose of this talk... I've seen variegated cotyledons with just a few seedlings planted.
By the time you are working with f2, you should see at least a few specimens growing out with variegated leaves even if you are working from a heterozygous variegated plant in your f1. Once you have attained your variegated homozygous plant or plants you can then continue to work with those plants and  you will not be in danger of losing that variegated phenotype (variegation you can see).

SmokenFire said:
I love love the fish pepper.  This cross sounds like a winner, If you should need assistance in growing out successive gens let me know.
I have a few Fish pepper crosses that I certainly would not mind sharing with others provided they were willing to share seed back with me in an ongoing collaboration.

Tybo said:

Sign me up to 
You my friend are growing a few of my crosses already... we certainly could consider a few more.
FishCheese.JPG

PollenNut said:
I have a few Fish pepper crosses that I certainly would not mind sharing with others provided they were willing to share seed back with me in an ongoing collaboration.

I have a numex jalamundo x trinidad scorpion that is in F4 right now.  I wanted the thick walls of the jalamundo with the heat of the scorpion.  I'm calling it the hurricane pepper, because one of the original plants was given to a friend who subsequently moved and the plant survived hurricane Florence.  The plants started throwing different colored and shaped pods last year and I saved seed from them all because I love the taste of them.  I'd be willing to share some of them if that might interest you.  Other than that I have a good amount of different varieties that you might like - send me a DM and we can discuss further.  I love Fish peppers - have been growing them for the past 8 years. 

Here are the hurricanes:

Hurricane-Peppers.jpg

SmokenFire said:

I have a numex jalamundo x trinidad scorpion that is in F4 right now.  I wanted the thick walls of the jalamundo with the heat of the scorpion.  I'm calling it the hurricane pepper, because one of the original plants was given to a friend who subsequently moved and the plant survived hurricane Florence.  The plants started throwing different colored and shaped pods last year and I saved seed from them all because I love the taste of them.  I'd be willing to share some of them if that might interest you.  Other than that I have a good amount of different varieties that you might like - send me a DM and we can discuss further.  I love Fish peppers - have been growing them for the past 8 years. 

Here are the hurricanes:

Hurricane-Peppers.jpg
numex Jalmundo is a cross originating from Keystone Resistant Giant Bell Pepper which is not reportedly well suited for the deep south. The other parent was Early Jalapeno to which it was later backcrossed to Early Jalapeno again.

I see you have your cross listed as Capsicum annuum 'numex jalapeno' (fruit setter) with your pollen donor listed as Capsicum chinense 'Trinidad Scorpion' which would make your cross a very nice interspecific hybrid like the tabasco pepper which is a cross of frutescens and chinense.

Did you achieve your goal of Jalapeno thick walls and heat of the scorpion? 

SmokenFire said:
The pods on the bottom left are the ones closest to what I had in mind, both in wall thickness and heat.  That said, all of the pods that have come this far are tasty. 
you are dealing with a lot of polygenic traits to get what you desire which is considerably harder than just trying to get a mendelian trait to manifest. It sounds like you have done fairly well though in a short period of time.

SmokenFire said:

Here are the hurricanes:

Hurricane-Peppers.jpg
Nice project and produce.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

SmokenFire said:

Here are the hurricanes:

Hurricane-Peppers.jpg
Wow bro really nice hybrid that brown long pods looks super fire nice job there
I would love to trade some seeds if u want as I loooove fish too been 4 years with it and have plenty of hibrids and Bx made with it, it's one the best variegated parentals to work with that mutation.
Let me know if we could make something for this winter

Just to clarify - this is PollenNut's thread on his Fish pepper cross.  Anyone interested in the hurricane's is welcome to DM me but let's keep this thread about these lovely Fish pepper crosses PollenNut is working with.  :)

Back