• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Capsicum Chinense?

Tina Brooks said:
lol.

The new pics have me thinking it looks like a serrano... This is fun!

T

Ok......Lets step back and take another look. The one on the right.....the short one.......Serrano? Lets not forget that the flowers fun parts are purple. Breath deep....try again...:mouthonfire: Looks like we found our new contest.

Tina Brooks said:
Are you telling us that you KNOW what the pepper is?

T

No, I'm just sure that it isn't a Serrano.......and if it is....then I owe you an apology. But until then, I think that your crazy. Still thinking Serrano?

sixstring75 said:
No, I'm just sure that it isn't a Serrano.......and if it is....then I owe you an apology. But until then, I think that your crazy. Still thinking Serrano?

If it turns out to be a serrano, I'll be very suprised, but then again, I was only going by the flower... And fwiw, until you get a full chili, I'm flying by the seat of my pants... Whereas we were growing peppers before, I am not the grower... I only know the full grown ones.

I saw an African pequin whose flower looked similar too, but again... I reserve all judgement until that pepper fills in.

T

Not that I have any clue as to what it is, but the growth pattern on the plant doen't seem like a serrano to me. My serranos have always been tall leggy plants and that one looks a lot more bushy.

I am wondering about an aji....maybe a dulche or bolivia?

Hi!

It's a Capsicum chinense, that's all I can say for sure. At least at the moment.

The flowers narrow it down to chinense or frutescens and the unripe pod photo confirms that it's a chinense.

So, the species is clear... but what's the variety?

-Harry

Hi

A quick look makes me shout chinense too...green tinge to petals, multiple flowers on a node plus annular constrictions on the calyx. As too variety well not so easy, need more mature pod pics...they remind me of the yellow pointys I grew last year and am growing again now...but there is no way really to id the variety at this stage with any reliability.

Isn't Serrano the big nosed geezer from Bergerac..LOL

All the best

Guy

Back