• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Capsicum lanceolatum

So I've ordered some capsicum lanceolatum seeds from semillas.de.
I've read a bit about this plant, and everyone says it grows slowly and is very hard to grow.
So how exactly is this plant hard to grow? Sensitive to overfeeding? Grows so slow you have to start it ages before your actual season?
Does anyone have any tips on growing this succesfully?
Thanks in advance

The issues others have had and you may have are stuck seed hulls when germinating,or poor germination percentages. They can be slow to get moving like other wilds but just another pepper plant. Don't overthink it.

A lot of the info online is from when only a few people were growing wilds and the seed stock sucked. I have read nothing but good on Peter's stock.

Enjoy growing it,very nice plant.

Pr0digal_son said:
The issues others have had and you may have are stuck seed hulls when germinating,or poor germination percentages. They can be slow to get moving like other wilds but just another pepper plant. Don't overthink it.

A lot of the info online is from when only a few people were growing wilds and the seed stock sucked. I have read nothing but good on Peter's stock.

Enjoy growing it,very nice plant.

Thanks for you response man! I've read your topic about C. Lanceolatum and really enjoyed the pictures you had, that's the reason I'll be growing this next season.
Yes, I've also only had good experiences with Peter's seeds, and for that price I just had to get some.
Any way of preventing or circumventing the stuck seed hulls? On other plants you can usually snip a part of the stuck seed hull off and moisten it and just get it off manually. But these seeds are tiny.
Just start enough seeds and hope some pop up alright?

Sow them all. If you run into issues I can help you out.

You can try to do surgery if a hull sticks,it isn't easy with them,and 99% of the time the seedling dies. Those sprouts are weak anyway. Just hope for a vigorous one.

For harder seeds, I have always used a bit of sandpaper, to scuff the edges.  It makes germination time shorter, and hull separation more likely.

For small seeds, this is difficult, but doable.  Tweezers and fine sand paper.

Or like the fella said...  just sow the whole lot, and see what pops.  I think that's what I would do, in this case. :)

Alright thanks for all the encouragement folks!
I still have some Giberrellic acid laying around that i might try on these seeds to give them some extra easy germination.

Back