• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Capsidadburn's Not Pepper Log

I did'nt do one of these last year but I should have. I will start posting pics of things I'm growing, attempting to grow.

I would like to know if anyone in Texas or all across the south have planted any papaya and if so, in the ground or in pots.

I have two overwintered from last year that are maybe 3 feet tall. Solo Sunrise is the variety from CTAHR Hawaii
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/seed/index.asp

Feb262012peppers012.jpg

I will probably put them in the ground and try to dig them up in late November if they have'nt fruited.

Have a good day, Mike

That is awesome. Papaya is my favorite fruit but I have become allergic and break out. Only thing I have found that I am allergic to. Used to eat them for breakfast in Hawaii.

Thanks Lanman.

Kiddc, here is a link about the papaya seeds. It is smaller than I thought. I grew them in the ground in 2010 and built a box frame around them with polycorbonate roof for winter with two 75 watt drop lights. They would have survived if not for a 3 day period all below 27F. Tried again last year and overwintered the plants in #5 pots. Hopefully will get some fruit this season.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/C2-69.pdf

Thanks, here in Malaysia we get good harvest from papaya trees and there's a dwarf strain as well. When it fruits and ripens, we can just pluck of off the top, no ladder needed.

In 2010 I went out looking for wild tepins growing. I came across these wild plums that were interesting so I took a couple handfulls home with me. Later on I made a jam with these plums, some wild grapes and some tepins. It was super fabulous tasting. Of course I want to make more so last year I trek down to the wild plums I found. Maybe I went a few weeks to late or last summer was to devistating to produce any or it was all ate by wildlife. So I took a few cuttings from the trees and came home and attempted to root them.

wildTepinhuntAug8034.jpg

wildTepinhuntAug8016.jpg

I more or less forgot about the five rooting attempts I made until a week ago doing some yard cleaning and I found that one of the cuttings has taken off!
MariahHillElementary042.jpg

Before I knew about the cutting I had decided to try and dig up one of the smaller trees. I got it home, in the ground and after a couple weeks it appears to have survived the horror. Update; I do not believe the tree will make it. I totally butched the root ball so I am not surprised at all. I may go back and take a few more cuttings and hopefully see some blooms.
MariahHillElementary044.jpg

MariahHillElementary045.jpg

I'm very excited. Have a great day people!

My uncle tossed a seed in a hole in his side yard... Next thing I knew there was a papaya tree in between our houses.... No soil improvements, no attempt to water it, nothing... Must have been planted towards the end of summer because he got the seed out of some fruit he picked up on our way back from the keys (we go as a family - incl extended family) every couple of years... Homestead has many many road side sellers of fruit...

Any way, just my .02

Late March; Only a couple things to add. My daughter started a variety of seeds that I will include here next post.
Wild Grape seedling. Dug up where I pick grapes I've been making jam with. That plant stretches 30 yards each direction on the fence.
Mar26th2012peppers033.jpg

second year Desert Rose
Mar26th2012peppers034.jpg

More to come, Have a great day!

Mike

Thank you very much Wrightdaddy!

I always have to run to the store for some Marjorum, for a fresh salsa. Will try to grow some.
WildflowerandZilker220.jpg

Got some fancy Oregano that may be ornamental only, not sure. Sure smells great and looks cool too. I have a Mexican Oregano plant that I've had in my yard for more than ten years. It should bloom any time now. I'll be sure and post a pic.
WildflowerandZilker219.jpg

Got some Lavender and may try it out in a jam. Might grow more next year.
WildflowerandZilker218.jpg

Here are the two Papaya trees. I think they've grown around 5 inches since I put them out.
Aprilgarden2012022.jpg

Have a good weekend everybody!

Mike

Back