• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds "Carolina Reaper" seeds bought from Pepper Joe

orrevs said:
Was not Pepper Joes reaper seed from the creator puckerbutt? Or maybe my memory is wrong.

https://pepperjoe.com/pages/carolina-reaper

That said mine did't grow true but that's pretty normal nowdays its all about the $$$$.

yeah but that would only mean what he has growing are real reapers if he still has the original plant... doesnt mean everything he grows isnt smooshed together in a small space unprotected from cross polination by insects and he just sells those seeds...

Hi all, I just reached out to Grover directly to fix this.  Please never hesitate to DM me directly.  We want to be a positive part of this community.  Obviously, mother nature beats to her own drummer sometimes with the superhots.  Where we can make something right we want to do that.

Take care,

Laura Jo/ Pepper Jo 

Pepperjo said:
Obviously, mother nature beats to her own drummer sometimes with the superhots. 

I'm not sure that I know what that means.  The "obviously" part definitely escaped me, so I guess that says something about me...  Please.  Do explain.

Hi Solid7, sorry if I was unclear!  

I was referring to natural variations in pod production, building on what Rajun Gardener had posted.  He has a pic on the prior page of variations from his Habaneros.  Personally, I find that the first couple of pods of a new-ish pepper variety are often not what I expect, but as the plant matures the pod production is more "true to form".  Rajun Gardener noted that too.  

Thankfully, I bet none of us on this forum are growing factory-style, always-uniform peppers.  If that's what we wanted, we'd go to the grocery store and get something bland and boring.

Take care and have a tremendous holiday season. 
Laura Jo

JUR-Z-Devil said:

yeah but that would only mean what he has growing are real reapers if he still has the original plant... doesnt mean everything he grows isnt smooshed together in a small space unprotected from cross polination by insects and he just sells those seeds...

I don't know how it is now but back in the time when reaper was released i got the feeling that the seeds they sold was from Puckerbutt directly. But it still did't grow true for me.

And most seeds i buy are crosses, the seeds i get in trade have better ratio of being true then when buying. 

Back