• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Carolina Reapers

I have planted about 10 or so seeds three weeks ago. None have grown and I have 10 more seeds.
I was wondering what the best way to plant these are.
Does anyone have tips and or guides on growing carolina reapers?

First of all I should say others more experienced might be able to answer your question better but I did have some luck with my first attempt with them this year.

I wouldn't give up on your from three weeks ago just yet. I had some other varieties come up after 3 weeks or so. How did you start yours? Do you have a heat source?

I pre-soaked my seeds in hydrogen peroxide / water solution for 24 hours. I then planted them and set them on a heated seeds mat with the humidity dome on until they sprouted. I then removed the dome and put them under lights. Basically treated them like any other pepper.

I have had great luck with all peppers using one of two methods.

First,  Place them in a moist paper towel inside a ziplock bag and check every so often to see if they have sprouted.  Ensure that the setup stays at 80-85 degrees.  Transfer the sprouted seedlings to some potting soil (careful of ferts)

Second,  Place the peppers in a small amount of potting soil (careful with ferts here as well) and moisten.  Keep them at 80-85 degrees.

It seems to me that the most important aspect of germinating any of the 'exotic superhots' that I have worked with is to keep that temp at the right spot.

Don't give up! I had Carolina Reapers that took 40 days to germinate in a papertowl inside of a ziplock bag. I agree with the above posts that temperature is key here. I have a grow box I built, which conveniently doubles as a heating unit on top. Keep it warm and dark and I assure you they will grow!

Mine took two months last year to germ in root shoots and this year it was three weeks in root shoots.  Be patience.  What medium are you using?

Mine took 7 days in a damp paper towel in 82 degree environment. I put the bag with the towel and seeds inside a bath towel on top of a heat mat and placed a fish thermometer to regulate. Worked like a charm, 90%+ germination and the longest of all 3 varieties (trinidad M scorpion, Carolina Reapers, Butch T) was 2 weeks. I then transferred to rockwool cubes, but a lot of options area available to move them to.

I actually went over this in great detail on a post a few months ago, took me a while to find it, but here is a link (rather than rewriting:)  )

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45636-newbie-help/?p=960450

I used a dome to keep water in and I kept them in for 2 weeks with a heating mat and the last week decided to try to use a planter light which gets around 80 F. The medium I use is just some of the seed starter packs. All of my other various types of plants are coming up besides these peppers.

Lmam, if everything you planted is coming up it might be bad seed. Are you growing other super hots that have germinated successfully?

Might want to take a look at them.  If they are too wet they might be rotten, if they are too dry they may have hooked a taproot but died.  There are way too many variables.  I've had Nagas take 3 weeks to germinate under the same conditions as some other supers that germed in 10 days so it's really hard to say.

Back