• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Carrots finally emerging!

Back on May 24 I sowed about 35' of St. Valery carrots (smooth, 10"-12" long & 2"-3" in diameter). They were a free gift from Baker Creek Seeds but should be great carrots.

I had had only about six seeds germinate until today. Now, bunches of them are up. Alas, they are growing in a sea of grass and trying to find each seedling and remove the weeds from around it is a challenge. Thankfully, the 2.5" of rain I got today has made the soil sort of soggy so even though the weeds are 2-3 times the height of the carrots, I think I have been able to remove the crap without killing the carrots. On the bad side is that the rain has brought the mosquitoes out in force and they fed nicely on me!

The hope is to harvest about 26 pints of these things. Blanch them (easier than canning and better than dehydrating) come fall.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Don't know how you start your carrots, but what I read (and tried) was to plant your seeds, water and then cover them with a board. It helps maintain moisture levels and keeps the soil from drying out. If the surface dries out and "crusts", germination will drop off dramatically. The board also helps keep weeds down while you're waiting for germination (2 to 3 weeks). The other thing I always heard was to plant a radish or two at the ends of the row. They help delineate the row until the carrots grow tall enough and can be easily identified. Then, you just pull the radishes.

Just an fyi. Good luck! :)

Back