• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

carrots

Just put some carrots seedlings in the ground, also some leeks and onions. I got some seeds of purple carrots which are orange inside as well as regular orange ones. I just bought some purple carrorts which are purple all the way through and made a soup with them and the whole soup went purple! Their colour stains like beetroot juice. Anyone tried these before ?

Sounds interesting!

Actually, not so long ago, I gave my niece some Dragon Carrot seeds (purple on the outside, orange on the inside) to grow.... wonder if she's grown them yet so I can try them! :lol:

i haven't tried them but thought about growing them along with the white carrots. i think it is thompson morgan that sells the seeds but they want so much for the small packet that unless they are on for half price, i'll live with regular carrots. same for the whites - plain out expensive.

NOW, for another worthless fact: carrots actually started out purple with orange centres but the dutch, for country and king(or perhaps queen at that time) grew out the purple to standardize on the orange country national colour, domesticating the wild carrot and creating the solid orange colour.

may your eyes be healthy.

I have grown the purple carrots, and every other color too. Yep, turned a batch of chicken noodle soup purple. Still tasted fine, but it was a very unappetizing color. I haven't grown the purple ones since, but if I do, they'll be for salads.

Have you tried the red ones yet? I've grown Nutri-Red, which is supposed to be even more nutritious than the orange ones, and was nervous it would turn my soups red, but thankfully it didn't. They have a good flavor, and don't get huge and woody like the yellow or white carrots do.

I've sown carrots 3 or 4 times this year, because some neighborhood cat keeps digging (and pooping) in my veggie bed. Now that the peppers and tomatoes are in hopefully he'll stay out, since there isn't much open space with loose dirt that resembles a litter box anymore. This year, I'm growing St. Valery, Danver's 126, Muscade, Jaune de Doubs (yellow), and Lunar White.

i haven't tried them but thought about growing them along with the white carrots. i think it is thompson morgan that sells the seeds but they want so much for the small packet that unless they are on for half price, i'll live with regular carrots. same for the whites - plain out expensive.

NOW, for another worthless fact: carrots actually started out purple with orange centres but the dutch, for country and king(or perhaps queen at that time) grew out the purple to standardize on the orange country national colour, domesticating the wild carrot and creating the solid orange colour.

may your eyes be healthy.

Cheers for the info :cool:
I'm going to have to look into the history a bit now. I was told in the past Carrots were originally White but they looked too much like a Parsnip so they developed the Orange to sell more to the public?

I like the look of the Dragon Carrot and was surprised when I saw them show up in our local Supermarkets. I think people are stating to want something different.

Mmmmm a Red Carrot, now that sounds interesting too!

Micca

I have heard the story that they used to be available in all colours until the dutch developed the orange ones for patriotic reasons. The purple colour really made the soup look like vomit but it tasted fine. I've put in some Western Reds (which are orange :crazy: ) and some Dragons which are purple outside and orange inside. First time growing carrot so will see what happens. I have one huge bushy carrot top in the garden which I think was a regular orange one but I'm waiting to see how big it will get before pulling it.

not sure how reputable the company is, but i found on Amazon a company that sells 350 Dragon Carrot seeds for $4. maybe someone can test it out.

here the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Purple-Dragon-Carrot-350-Seeds/dp/B000UW5QP2

I grew some Purple Haze carrots last year, they were small.. but delicious, this year I have some Deep Purple carrots, along with Nutri Red, Yellowstone, and Ingot, should make some colorful additions to salads and whatever else.

Back