Caterpillars

Got some kind of caterpillar attacking some plants.  Not the peppers yet but this plant is right next to the garden.  They are working fast, almost stripped about half of this thing that is 6 feett across and 3 feet tall.  Powdered twice now with fertilome dipel dust.  Yesterday washed away in rain, probably will again tonight.  Might need to get some liquid safer brand caterpillar killer?   Has anyone seen these before or know what kind they are?

IMG_20150629_200104273_zpskarf3zjc.jpg

IMG_20150629_200054476_zpswdm9tbcz.jpg

IMG_20150629_174717300_zpsjl2zcewi.jpg

You can see in the last pic, a lot of this plant is just the stems, all the soft leaf is gone.  So far most of them don't seem to be fond of peppers, but might have no choice once this plant is gone.

moruga welder said:
what in the hell are you raising down there justin ? 
Hell if I know.  some sort of plant that comes back every year.  Wife won't let me dig it up.  Its big, but this year its going to be dead soon.  These worms gonna finish it. Just hope they don't move to peppers before I can get rid of them.  Theres 1000s of them on there.

Dr.Pepper said:
Put out some bird seed and attract some birds. They'll get the caterpillars under control.
Might try that tomorrow.  I have tons of birds around already maybe I can get a feeding frenzy started.

pepper_rancher said:
BT = dead caterpillars.  Works great and its organic :)
...and... those are some creepy looking caterpillars by the way...
Thanksl, hopefully that dust does it then, as thats what it is I think "Dipel Dust Biological Insecticide (1 lb). Formulation: Bacillus Thuringiensis."   Probably all got washed off last night.  And yes, those guys are creepy.  Never have seen them around before and theres 1000s of them.  They are small like 1/2 - 3/4".

Back