• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Cayenne seedling rescue

I bought a little tray of Cayenne seedlings from a nursary, they are so thin and spindly I normally wouldn't have, but I thought I'd try rescuing them.

There were 14 in one 450ml tray, I saved 12 and pricked them out to their own 100mm (4") pots.

They are so thin, the stems are about as thin as a toothpick, I guess they must have been starving for light.

They're also young for mid November, but I think they're going to make it :).

Would you guys have bothered?

Cayenne Seedlings 2.jpg

Cayenne Seedlings 1.jpg

In addition to light, they might be getting leggy because they haven't seen any wind. Young pepper plants seem to need a certain amount of breeze to remind them to strengthen their stalk.

If they're going to stay in a green house, you may want to put a fan on them intermittently to strengthen them up.

Lots of light and some breeze are both great suggestions. I can only add that, in my experience, cayenne just tend to grow tall, for me at least. You just won't see them do the short bushy chinense thing, and even comparing them to other annuums, they've had just about the most propensity for upright growth out of the bunch. If they're not laying down (as in sideways, into their dirt), I think they're doing just about what they're supposed to. They look good by the way!

Thanks for the replies :).

Yes they'll be in an outdoor greenhouse for a while, although I don't have a fan, it's a good idea.

I'll have to compromise and bring them out in the breeze during the warmer hours, we had a good day for it today and they didn't even wilt in the full sun :).

I can only add that, in my experience, cayenne just tend to grow tall, for me at least. You just won't see them do the short bushy chinense thing, and even comparing them to other annuums, they've had just about the most propensity for upright growth out of the bunch. If they're not laying down (as in sideways, into their dirt), I think they're doing just about what they're supposed to.
That's interesting information, thanks, I hadn't considered the genetic aspect.

Back