• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Central FL, what a storm....

Folks, i dont know where it came from, i really dont care. I actually dont even care that the local gov says all the time we r in a draught. Screw that, they wouldnt know a draught if it hit them in the face. FLorida in a draught??? well i guess someone was praying for rain. It has been raining for more then 24 hours straight. three branches broken off some various pepper plants and as of this morning its still raining....

Any advice as to how to save the peppers once this storm ends? just not water the plants for a few days? It really sucks, i just fed my plants on friday with Compost tea, now i am sure its all washed out of the containters... blah :( :mouthonfire: :mouthonfire: :hell: :hell:

I went through the same thing at the end of August and the beginning of September. We had the remnants of two hurricanes go through our area in the matter of two weeks, dumping 5 inches of rain the first time and 10 inches the second time. I was certain that my peppers would get drowned out, but they made it through mostly unscathed. The huge amounts of water ate away some of the soil around the plants and tipped them over. I just carefully propped them back up and patted down the dirt enough to keep them upright and they have been fine since then. I also lost some branches and the peppers they were supporting, but it was a very small loss considering what I was expecting. This is my first year growing peppers, but they seem to be pretty resilient. If mine could make it in NY in September with cool weather on the back end of all that rain, I'm sure yours will still flourish in Florida. I'd just let that soil dry out quite a bit before you water them again. Good luck!

Too bad you don't have a porch or carport (assuming from your post they are in containers). I'm sure they will make it with a few losses. Just prune back anything destroyed. They are very resilient plants!

Also, if you don't have drainage on your buckets/pots, now would be a good time to drill some holes to let the excess water escape from the bottom. We broke the all-time yearly record here in PA on rain this year. All my plants ended up fine because the soil had good drainage.

The wind may be a bigger problem than the rain... Try and brace them against something, along a wall, bunched together if possible...

Good luck!

Rain here as well, I figure it will flush the ground and pots, so now a bad thing, I will just let mine dry for a day or 2 and lightly fertilize. You'll be fine, short a hail storm...

Rain Rain go away come again anther day!

some of mine got beat by the wind and water coming off the eves of my house I had to tuck them all in a row along the wall.

Thx for the feedback
As far as drainage, they r all in smart pots if not in the ground. I stopped using plastic pots a few weeks ago. Much better results with smart pots. I might try the air pot next.

Well it stopped raining, now just wait and see. :)

I too got the smart pots, they work better than the plastic nursery pots for sure. I got a few of those airpot, and there doing better than the smart pots.

yepper we have had about 8 inches here in Daytona and it is still raining. Your plants will be just fine once they dry out. You will get a lil yellowing of the leaves but like the others said just a lil ferts and they will bounce back. I have most of my babies in the garage,front porch, or agianst my back wall of the house. Did have a couple branches snap :(

Forcast doesn't look good the next couple days either :(

Back